COLD START IDI VIDEO

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my older brother (non mechanical):"Whether or not you use ether to start the engine is irrelevant, having ether available is good, that way you can pick up a ****** when your broke."

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
65 is not a cold start. Thats how much my truck cranks at 40 degrees with no glow plugs. At 65 its about half that long.

PZ

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Why? what wrong with a small shot of either

I would say in moderation that there is absolutly NOTHING wrong with ether when it is in the hands of someone who knows that they are doing. I started my truck for 8 months on ether, and not once did anything go wrong.

Again, if you empty half the can into the intake and then start cranking, you are already screwed...just take the keys outta the truck and go back in the house!!

I would have to agree with you Brad that when used properly, like a 1/2 second shot in a COLD intake with GP's DISABLED, it will get you going no problem.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
This is my IDI cold starting with a 1/2 to a 1 second shot of ether in the intake by the radiator. My gp's were burnt (I was learning my lesson on Beru plugs at the time) so I had no issue of them igniting the ether. This was at 12*F or so...nice balmy day around here!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
You guys REALLY need to fix your glow plug systems. :eek:

Here is cold start with a few burnt plugs (even with an hour on the block heater, it took some cranking):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOMsKZMYBw

Here is with a GOOD working set, no other starting aids required:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0bKyvmoO0

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

That 15w-40 really slows it down in the winter, but it hasn't ever failed to start for me. ;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my truck since 1999 and disconected the GPs since then.
seen too many burnt tips ruin engines, wont happen to mine.
A cold start is a cold start.
I does not have to be -20F to be a cold start.
I was focusing on the cold start be it 70F 90F or 65F the warmer it is the sooner it starts.
A cold start means by percentage most of the motor oil is in the pan and starting up a diesel when it is SHUT OFF longer than 8 hrs can leave the cylinders, rings, with less lubricant than if warmed up.

I will also post up a warmed up start later today, it lights up instantly.

Javier

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I have had my truck since 1999 and disconected the GPs since then.
seen too many burnt tips ruin engines, wont happen to mine...

Good luck starting if you ever have to drive to a colder climate. As displayed in the videos I posted, you will have a heck of a time.

If you use the right parts, you won't have to worry about glow plugs ruining your engine. As wise as you believe you are over the engineers of these engines, they were designed to utilize them.

I'm starting to think you do mods based on being different. LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the thing is,even living in Florida where it doesn't get all that cold,your combustion chamber still needs to reach around 500 degrees.
by not using the glow plugs,your starter is working extra to turn the engine over longer than necessary.
stock motorcraft glow plugs can be purchased online for around 10$ each and they don't swell up and become stuck in the head like other plugs.
starters are pretty pricey,in case you haven't priced them lately.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my GP I checked B4 I put them in when I redid my engine, the wiring is all there, except the two yellow wires are disconnected from the solonoid, so in case I do have troubles I can manage,
A few years back I went to Tenn and had to start it up cold in 30F morning and it fired up the same way like in my video.

I dont disagree with the engineers GP system I have not had issues with starting.
I did kill the Mitsubishi starter 2 of them, but face it they suck anyway.
The Case mini starter is the way to0 go with these engines and a serious battery like a 2150 Odessey does the spinning job very well.

Javier

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well,just trying to help save ya some $ on starter replacements.
but you seem to know first hand what happens.
i guess when ya post a video clip,and we see where we might be able to help,we all let ya know lol.
your truck though,and your wallet.
hope you find the starter your after next time,and hope it holds in there for ya.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You guys REALLY need to fix your glow plug systems. :eek:

Here is cold start with a few burnt plugs (even with an hour on the block heater, it took some cranking):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOMsKZMYBw

Here is with a GOOD working set, no other starting aids required:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0bKyvmoO0

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

That 15w-40 really slows it down in the winter, but it hasn't ever failed to start for me. ;Sweet

Well, I have since replaced all 8 burnt GP's with motorcraft plugs. Starts like a new truck!! lol

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well,just trying to help save ya some $ on starter replacements.
but you seem to know first hand what happens.
i guess when ya post a video clip,and we see where we might be able to help,we all let ya know lol.
your truck though,and your wallet.
hope you find the starter your after next time,and hope it holds in there for ya.

I agree with you, you are correct.
It is known low amp flow to the starter has killed more starters than anything else.
Loose connections will do it too. That can kill any starter.
I used all new tractor cable 2/0 AWG to the starter, the factory dual battery cables I did not like, or the 2 batteries up front. Ditched all that stuff.
Had to rethink it all, so far I did good!
I always had starting issues with the old FORD stuff 2x the connections 2 batteries, just a joke when I thought about it.

Javier