cold advance stuck on

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I made a thread abotu thsi a year ago but never got around to fixing it. One day last winter i started my truck and the cold advance stayed on the whole time. Had to unplug it.
What is fubard-the temp sensor? or the actual solenoid? I remember gary (i think) saying 9i would need a new temp sensor, dealer only item?
Now that its cold again I need it lol, i almost stalled the truck twice because it was too cold to pull out of my driveway.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can unplug the wire, and the cold advance turns off, then it's not the solenoid. I would suspect the sensor in that scenario.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you knwo which sensor specificaly? Is it the cold advance coolant temp sensor? I had a an engien schematic before but i misplaced it

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why your engine wants to stall? Is your idle set too low to begin with? My cold advance is not hooked up and I don't see a need for it on my truck.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first start it when cold, if i go to move it and i get off the clutch too qucik it will bog the engine down. only started happening now thats its cold and no advance on. when it was warmer, no advance it qwas fine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's the 2 wire plug behind the thermostat housing. Look deep.

Be cheaper to just put it on a toggle.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^toggle? i like toggles.
how much is that sensor though?
Im afriad id forge to turn it off and run it with advanc eon all the time

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put a toggle on mine, I looked and looked a few years ago, and the cheapest I could find the sensor/switch was about $50.00. I decided to install the toggle switch to simulate the sensor, and that's when I found out there was no real reason to even have it on my truck. I did forget and leave it on a couple of times, it didn't seem to hurt it, but you could hear the engine did sound different with it on. Since that happened a couple of times I took the toggle back out.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem last winter. I just disconnected it and it runs just fine. The air leaks I have been having recently notwithstanding I see no real benefit from the cold start advance and fast idle. Ive been driving off in temps as low as 18f with no problems. Just give it a little throttle for the first few seconds before starting out then give it high revs in low gear for the first mile or so.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TOGGLE and a BRIGHT LED to indicate it's ON...then you likely won't forget.

Cheap...effective...throw one on the FAST IDLE while at it so you can boost a person or what have you easy..kinda mini throttle...LOL

JM2CW

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new sensor from mine for around $50-$60 online, but cant remember exactly where. Have yet to install it, I am waiting fro when I replace the thermostat and flush the coolant.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two switches with leds will have to happen! 6 bucks much cheaper than 60

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm told the sender is easy to remove without removing the thermostat housing. How true that is I don't know. I have a spare I need to change out on my rig. For a long time I would drive off and way before 120 degrees coolant the fast idle and cold advance would shut off early. So I know its the sender behind the thermostat housing. Its a tuff location to reach and me with one hand. My right hand which is not my dominant hand is not really that good. The left is still painful and full of stitches till 3:30pm tomorrow.... So is the elbow with about 50 stitches in it... Ouch is all I can say at this time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online