clutch pedal problem

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone got problem with my pedal going to the floor an not springing back up it needs to be returned by hand. We bleed the line and clutch but the pedal is still no different pushes straight to floor and stays thanks for help

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gravity bleed it and made sure fluid was shooting out then filled slave with rod pushed in and out the connected it and when I let the air out it shoots nothing but fluid out of the breather

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Factory says to bleed the slave and master cylinder from the bottom up. So, here it is in a nutshell:

Fill up the slave cylinder with fluid
Connect slave cylinder to clutch line (DO NOT INSTALL SLAVE ON TRANSMISSION YET)
Fill up master cylinder
Cycle slave cylinder multiple times completely in and out, slowly, by hand
Keep eye on master cylinder fluid level
After 10 cycles, attach slave to transmission and test with clutch pedal
Repeat as necessary.

Do your bleeding that way, or else you'll never get it right. Some people get lucky, but you're obviously not one of them since you're here and asking for help. Report back when you get that done, and if that doesn't fix it, we will go from there. But from what it sounds like, I can guarantee you have a few small stubborn bubbles in your line that won't come out unless you bleed the line properly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get it sort-of working, then drive it if you can. The motion of the truck on the road and the vibration from the engine will migrate any small bubbles you have left up the line and to the master reservoir. Done it several times with different trucks, and it works itself out eventually. You do have to get a lot of the air out though, so you can get the tranny somewhat in gear to start out.

One truck I was working on would refuse to go in gear, and I needed reverse. So I forced it in 5th, then quickly moved the shifter from gear to gear and got it in reverse. Then did the same thing when I needed to go forward. By the time I got to the end of my steep driveway it was working lots better. By the time I ran a couple miles around the block, it was working normal.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the arm actually engage the pushrod? If that's popped out of place, you'll get exactly what you're experiencing.

Have you checked fork travel while an assistant presses the pedal?

Hey, look, Oconomowonomowoc.... Did you go to fall Jefferson by any chance?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only got to spend about 2 hrs, Saturday only. But I found a taillight for my '85 for a buck. And a string trimmer for $5, and some random tools. One of these years I'll take a Friday off work and spend the whole damm day.

Oh another question about your clutch. Does the pedal kinda "snap" down to the floor? Or do you have to push it all the way? Does it offer any resistance?

Excuse the question, but are you sure it's not glurking fluid out somewhere when you nail the pedal?

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i got a couple power tools with batters and a charger 10 bucks along with a new guage cluster, fuel switch and a new on the frame were both tanks become one for 10 bucks and some more fun stuff.

and no such thing as a dump question got to cover all the bases no it dosnt leak fluid anywhere and the pedal snaps to the floor and when you pull it back up it snaps back up when you push down on the pedal there is a little resistance but i think its just from the spring

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My master, slave, and line needs to be replaced also.
i cant seem to find the line anywhere,
i found a entire "kit" for a 93, will this work on my 87?