Clutch not disengaging completely

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I converted an f150 to manual from auto and had to beat yhe living daylights out of the tunnel to get it to fit. The sheet metal is not held to a super tight tolerance in these locations...ive had people tell me they bolted up and didn't have to hammer at all and some you have to hammer a lot. Its not consistent. And it tells you in the ford tsb that it may be necessary to hammer it in but doesn't specify how much. And yes...I supply the plates to mel or I sell them direct.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I was able to get it in, I hammered the crap out of it and had to egg out a few of the bolt holes, I'm now in the process of putting it all back together to see if it in fact solved my issues

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure hope this solves the issue for you. keep us updated and don't forget...TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES...we be picture ho's here ;Poke

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to stop working on it today because of the rain, originally I welded it on but because of the thin sheet metal it burnt through in a few spots so pulled the cowl to drill that out and bolt it in there, I'm going to leave the transmission tunnel just welded hopefully I'll be able to finish tomorrow since there's no rain in the forecast.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long but here is some pics, excuse the horrible gas less flux buzz box welds.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes I'm aware I did it quite differently then most, and the angle in the cowl is bolted to the front too just not in the picture, I had to do all that because it was quite rust and thin in that area so I didn't trust it

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plate did in fact fix the problem... For all of about 3 minutes, as this happened about 200 yards up the road from my house...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OWWWWCH! Weakest link theory. This is probably the first time in about a hundred years that the slave and fork have moved that far.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, that's *****, now u need new bellhousing DOH! and or reinforce and weld that one. Must be a really dry throwout bearing thats not sliding well on the input bearings housing, that does happen, my friend snapped his clutch arm instead of bell housing! Lucky him.

I'm sure I saw a housing or something for sale in the market place.

I have a bell housing here but it's kinda dear to me....Price would reflect that if it's required.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. At least the fire wall is fixed. It would be a good time to change that to an overdrive or go for that 2 cylinder subtraction upgrade I thought I saw you mention.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T.o.b is brand new as of last month! And yes I just got 1000 dollars of headwork done to the cummins motor, now all I need is a clutch, adapter plate and motor mounts, but I just had to spend most of my funds on a new to me commuter

Don't worry it is a diesel 5 speed

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Im guessing you have a throwout bearing thats sticking...thats why the bell broke.

You should have never had to elongate those holes in the firewall plate. You keep hammering on the sheet metal at the tunnel till you can move the plate over enough it lines up with the steerjng column bolts.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw out bearing is brand new and still spins fine, and the piece that goes up against the trans tunnel was flush up against it and it still had to go over about a quarter of an inch, but it's all set now, I'm throwing the 5 speed in there temporarily till I save enough to finish my cummins swap.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see... It came of freely and slides on it freely but it may have got jammed up? It makes sense as to why it would have broke the bellhousing

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if that bearing got jammed, and you tired to push the clutch in, something has to give....

and I know first hand too...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I also have another theory on why they break....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online