Clutch master cylinder tube blow out...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Lost pedal the other morning on the way to work, but managed to float gears with no full stops back to the casa and kill/brake in my regular parking spot.. I figured it was the bushing or pin or even the hole on the shaft finally wallowed out and let go, so I hit Advance and picked up a new master... My thinking was that rather than try the "fix" that I read here, I would just replace the whole thing since it is a wear item and 23 years old anyway. Well, I popped the hood a few minutes ago to remove the retaining pin at the hose fitting and guess what? The hose was already out, with fitting still attached to its end but the pin was still in place.:dunno
Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I don't feel wear or roughness on the fitting bottom where the pin retains it, and I'm at a complete loss as to reason that this could happen. Anyone have a similar experience? WOW! now that I have uploaded this incredibly huge hi-res close-up photo, I see what I couldn't see with the naked eye before- and that is corrosion of the retaining pin... I'm thinking that enough of the pin corroded away to let the ridge on the fitting past it on a good blast of hydraulic pressure. OK, now to see if I can locate the proper diameter pin, because the new master cylinder did not come with one.:mad:

Attachments

• brakemaster.jpg
    brakemaster.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 45

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the master and slave came with replacement pins when I redid mine. Master came from advance auto and slave from autozone. Maybe someone pilfered the ones from your kit?

IIRC, the pin is 3/32".

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If that tube flew past the pin, I'd be a little more concerned about the tube's ability to be retained at all. You should take back what you have and order up the matched set that comes with the new tube already attached( and pre bled :) I wouldnt trust what you have there at all.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
New hose/tube might have to wait on next payday unless its existing fitting is bad.. I was reading around & talking with a mechanic and all sources say replace the slave cyl. as well- coupled with a new hose that tally's up to a nice little chunk of change that wasn't budgeted into this pay period. Anyway, how does the electrical fitting come off of the pushrod so you can get the old master cyl. away from the immediate vicinity of the firewall? does the pushrod just pull out of the master cyl?

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electrical piece you're referring to is the clutch safety. The one requiring the clutch be pressed to start the engine. Its shaped like the letter "C" around the master cylinder shaft. Once the pedal is detached from the shaft, you slide the spring loaded ******* towards the eye of the shaft, and slide it up and off.

edit: in my case, I hadn't had that figured out at the time. I pulled the master cylinder completely off before I figured out how the switch detaches from the shaft. The hole in the firewall is large enough to bring it all out together, as long as you spin the switch around to match the cutout. Then you can see how it comes off. :)

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Ah, so... Out the door I go... Oh- at this point can I twist the two reds and the two greens together and eliminate that whole pain-in-the-ass process?

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope...its the blues w/red stripe you want to connect. Leave the others on the plug alone. I used one of those annoying T-taps to take care of the splice, and tossed the switch in the junk box. Zip tied the plug up in the dash to keep it out of the way.

edit... Whatever. Went out to check the truck.. blue w/ red... or red w/ blue. *shrugs* Here's a photo:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy
Let me see what have floating around. I know I have a metal line around here somewhere.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Raven- yeah, the color was what was throwing me.. On my two reds, the light blue stripe is barely discernible at all- didn't even see them the first time around so thanks for clarifying with the photo!;Sweet
Billy- Thanks man, but don't trouble yourself.. It turns out that the fitting was in perfect shape, but the retaining pin was rusted away to the point of non-interference in the locking groove. Got it installed and mostly bled this evening, so I'll do the wire splice in the a.m. and finish bleeding it.
On a completely different note, I put a fresh set of group 31's in last week and solved my slow starting problem just like that. I had been chasing down non-existent problems with the charging system and was ready to pull what little bit of hair I have left, out! As I thought about it though, I realized that the last set had been inadvertently abused a great deal in their semi-short lifetime, to the point that sulfation claimed them prematurely.. Fortunately Advance was having an online sale, so... Thank you for the help Raven- I'd still be out there without it! Have a good evening -Gus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online