Clutch killer

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Since installing my moose pump and injectors it's sure taken a toll on the old transmission. It will torque out at 2400-2700rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. It's not terrible yet but I'm replacing it before it totally goes. So what do I need to buy? Can I get away with a stock replacement clutch and nothing else or do I need a flywheel too? why is the smf conversion popular? Any info is great. I'm considering selling the truck in the near future (before next summer most likely) so I'm not neccearily looking for a clutch to last me a decade, just something that can hold up for a few years

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I got the entire SMF clutch kit on rock auto dirt cheap. for the kit, master cyl, hose and slave cyl I paid $490 shipped to my door.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if you plan on getting rid of it in the next year or so then just put a stocker in it and have some control over your right foot.

unless of course the price of a stocker is close to that of an aftermarket one, then by all means go better......

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the LUK single mass conversion - not that expensive (something like $600??) for a complete kit, and it's a larger and way smoother clutch than stock. The clutch feel much smoother and requires much less force - when I had the stock clutch for a while it was just awful to shift.

Haven't seen any issue of it seeming overstressed either. I just put a new clutch assembly in as part of the rebuild - the old one had ~ 75k miles with a turbo and no sign of any real wear or slippage issues.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I second the Luk clutches, a bit stiffer than the Centerforce stage 2 my brother bought but I wouldn't waste the time resurfacing a DMF vs getting the SMF conversion. It will be a great selling point as well.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I bought a stock replacement (valeo) and if I need a flywheel I found a dmf for $750 new local here. Probably get of for $650. Not replacing the flywheel unless I have to though

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I bought a stock replacement (valeo) and if I need a flywheel I found a dmf for $750 new local here. Probably get of for $650. Not replacing the flywheel unless I have to though

That sounds like more money than going the SMF route. Good luck none the less.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
So I bought that valeo clutch for it and when I went to bolt it up the bolt pattern was different. At the parts store we talked over what could be the issue since the part number was the right one. Well it clicked right then, I've got a single mass flywheel! So I picked up a clutch kit. There was a LUK clutch in it before and it was toast but the flywheel isn't grooved so I left it. Stoked on having the SMF, sounds like a way better setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online