clutch holding power...

realmenramit

Reaction score
how much stock holding power does the clutch have in a 97?

i am buying a #10 plate for my truck, with Bosch 370 injectors, and laser cut delivery valves. also putting an intake system, high flow ex. manifold, and a 5" turbo-back exhaust.

my question:

will a clutch assy rated for 400HP and 900ft/lb be able to handle this? or am i better off to get the 450HP and 1000ft/lb?

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from what I have heard you will need the 450 set. Hey I am a ford guy though so you never know.

megaram

Megaram
Reaction score
The stock clutch will not hold the 10 plate, The rest will for sure smoke it in higher gears

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have basically same thing as you are wanting to do and I have a South Bend CON O which is rated for 400/900 and I can walk through it in 5th gear with no load if I want to - just shift early and it will happen. I would recommend getting the larger diameter clutch and flywheel for more holding power.

rubberfish

Reaction score
The con O won't hold all that.
Get either of the oFe's. They'll hold. ;Sweet

Didn't we have this conversation the other day? :dunno:

gumper

Reaction score
I have the 400/900 clutch, and it doesn't hold the stuff I've got done to the truck. The Con-OFE costs more, but it's very much worth it. Seems to be the most common clutch used by us Cummins guys. I'm stepping up to the Con-FE, but I'm sure you don't need it.