JD PowerTech 4.5

cliffpoint

Reaction score
I currently have a project where I am adapting a ZF5 trans to a industrial JD 4045. That part is going well, and I am trying to get needed info on upgrading the power output. It is rated at 125HP @ 1800RPM. That should give away the fact it is a genset engine. The negative aspect of this engine is they never made a automotive application, NO clutch type flywheel. The good news is these genset applications have 2 balance shafts, and have very low vibration. It currently may have a Stanadyne DB4 injection pump. I would like to raise the HP to 200 to 250HP. Would the Bosch VE pump be a better choice for getting that amount of fuel needed for the HP, or can the DB4 be modified to do that. I have surfed and not found any info that would help. Any links or helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pics of what you have. I’ve got a couple of these at work. One is in a MQ Power 70 kva generator. The other is in a ride on concrete shot blast machine. Obviously the generator doesn’t use a clutch, but the my other machine uses a twin disc brand PTO which is an over center type clutch.
AT 125hp, I’m guessing yours is already turbocharged. 125hp is is on the upper range of ratings for these. My generator is turbo and rated at 105 @ 1800rpm I believe. The shot blaster is N/A and rated at 86hp @ 2450 rpm. I would think that the DB4 could be made to put out all the fuel that engine could use. But, I think 250 hp is a pretty big ask. I would start with adjusting the governor, and turning the fuel up and see if it gets you something driveable. Maybe give some of the custom pump builders a call and see what they say.

cliffpoint

Reaction score
Thanks for your time. My research indicates 50 to 60hp per cylinder considering the engine is 4.5 litres. I have been unable as yet to find comparison specs between the DB4 and the VE, as for mounting and fuel delivery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online