Clutch Fan??

mbarry98

Reaction score
Hi, I just changed the water pump on my 93 and switched the fan from my old 6.9 to my 7.3 because it has one more blade than the 7.3's fan had.M y question is I was running errands today and it was 40 degrees here in Illinois but as I drove down the street I noticed the truck seemed louder than normal like the fan is possibly always locked now. Its the same clutch I had on the truck before I swapped the water pump and I've never heard it be this loud before and my temp never got any higher than 195 degrees any thoughts what might be causing this?!?!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soundz like clutch stuck on...it should cycle on and off with temp and 40 is not warm enough turn it on less yer talking 40 like me...Celcius....

mbarry98

Reaction score
I find it weird that it would get stuck like that because it was fine before I changed the water pump. Maybe heating up the shaft to get the clutch fan off the the water pump effected it??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it weird that it would get stuck like that because it was fine before I changed the water pump. Maybe heating up the shaft to get the clutch fan off the the water pump effected it??

Yuppers probably

WITH ENGINE OFF

Can you spin clutched fan by hand or.is it seem super tight.

Maybe swapping over fans too...but not sure how that would do it.

mbarry98

Reaction score
It's stiff when you turn it over by hand. And the truck never got up to 180 this morning on the 4 mile ride to school at 65mph and its only 32 degrees here so it lucks like I'll have to go back to napa and get the wrench and swap clutches!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Using heat is what caused the clutch failure. They are sensitive to heat and the shaft seals will leak when ruined. Any dirt collecting around the shaft seal or the front thermostatic spring? Any signs of leakage will mean it is replacement time..
What you posted about the blade count being different on the 6.9 & 7.3 fans is news to me. I really have never stopped to count them in the many wrecking yards I have been thru but sure will in the future.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace fan clutch and that will solve your problem.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 6.9 & 7.3 Idi engines use the same fan blade. They each have 7 blades.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is you have cooling. Lots of times they fail unable to lockup so overheating is the norm.
You can guess how I know!

mbarry98

Reaction score
Update: Thanks for all the help I replaced the Clutch today I bought a never used OEM one on eBay and it runs much better now its a lot quieter and it has more power! I can actually hear that 7.3 roar now!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So what did you find out bout the number of blades on the 7.3 & 6.9 fans???

mbarry98

Reaction score
They are the same but the there are 2 large gaps in the old fan compared to the new one the space between the blades are the same.