Clutch fan removed

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weird part is the nut was tight when I put the braces on like a year before that, so how did it get loose when the fan blade is not turning with respect to the water pump I have no idea...QUOTE]

I believe that the high compression of the IDIs shut them down hard and that's what makes the nut loosen. I do like the brackets as they do offer an added level of "fan coming off and lunching your radiator" protection.

That being said: to each his own, I'm going electric.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
What is the fan everyone is using? I have a Mark8 fan on my gasser and just curious as to what you idi guys are running...Don't let the wiring of the fans sway you from doing an Efan conversion......you can buy the wiring kits to do this on-line and even in the parts store with instructions.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the high compression of the IDIs shut them down hard and that's what makes the nut loosen. I do like the brackets as they do offer an added level of "fan coming off and lunching your radiator" protection.
That makes sense if the fan is allowed to turn with respect to the water pump, in other words upon engine shutoff the water pump is what stops the fan blade. My fan blade is locked solid to the water pump pulley itself, so there's absolutely no torque on the clutch shaft... Oh well, not a concern no more, she got the red loctite treatment upon reassembly :D