Cleaning out the radiator myslef?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Cleaning out the radiator myself?

i suspect my radiator is not as efficiant as it used to be and would like to improve upon that myself. before it gets mentioned a rodney red would be nice but unless it is gone i have no plans on replaceing my current one. i would just like to do some preventative maintenance more or less before it becomes a problem.

i have read about using acid to clean out the deposites that can build up in the rad, i have some concreat cleaner at home that i believe will work. i was just hopeing to get some input on how is the best way to go about this. i understand to not breath the fumes and keep it off of me EEK!

thanks for any input

Last edited:

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My radiator wasn't cooling right, the fine copper foil between the cooling tubes rotted away from road salt. No amount of cleaning can repair that problem.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a professional radiator repair business in Lancaster county. Typically what would be done, is the tanks would be removed (unsoldered) and then the tubes rodded out. Once that was done, a chemical flush would follow and then the tanks would be soldered back on. I've taken radiators from the Night Moose and Scarlet Moose to him, and both times he said they were too far gone to clean. Not that it couldn't be done, but that by the time he is finished, the likelyhood that they might leak due to the thin tubes would make the financial prospects not so good. A new rad is a cheaper option, even if the new ones aren't in my opionion, made as well.

subway

Reaction score
My radiator wasn't cooling right, the fine copper foil between the cooling tubes rotted away from road salt. No amount of cleaning can repair that problem.

if that were the case i would be looking for a new one, this one looks fine i would just like to keep it that way if i can.

Mel, i am hopeing that is not the case since i would like to keep the factory one healthier longer if i can, i might have to stop by a shop.

i would still be interested to hear if anyone has cleaned one out themselves or how you can tell if one is to far gone.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I got a new aluminum one on ebay for $200, that enough of a piece of mind to not have to worry about a bad tube letting go on the road.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a pound of cascade in a cooling system, run it, flush it out, then fill with new will clean deposits.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a few using muriac acid (pool acid) and it cleaned them up real nice.

You have to pull the hoses off and plug both hose connections, if you pick up the acid at a pool supply ask them if they have any rubber plugs, that's what I used.
I put a gallon of acid in then topped it up with water, let it sit for 1/2 hr. or so then drain and flush with fresh water.

The radiators I did were smaller then a diesel so you might want to add more acid.
Obviously you have to be careful handling this stuff and don't drain it on your grass or driveway, use plenty of water to rinse it away.

Dennis

bjprk

Reaction score
The factory manual warns against putting a rod down the tubes because it will destroy the "turbulators" (Ford's term, not mine....) pressed into the tubes, and probably the tubes themselves.

evilplan

Reaction score
Most acid concrete cleaners contain muratic acid which causes instant rust in metals. I just used a product made by called restore plus to clean mine and wow what a difference it made! Went from running warm with rust circulatin through the system to running cool and clean after the restore plus. This flush is an acid based flush available at just about any heavy truck supply business. Hope this helps

evilplan

Reaction score
Stupid phone key board...... Product is made by fleetgaurd and get restore plus, not just standard restore

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little off topic, you mentioned oil cooler getting plugged, if you dont have an oil temperature gauge how can you tell if your oil cooler is plugged ?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1986 F250 diesel radiator that I took to a radiator shop because of leaks. I spent $150 to rod it out and fix. It started to leak a year later. I would spend the money for a new one and take the old one to scrap to help pay for the new one.

Archie

subway

Reaction score
a little off topic, you mentioned oil cooler getting plugged, if you dont have an oil temperature gauge how can you tell if your oil cooler is plugged ?

mine is not plugged, that i know of, the scout man just mentioned to not go crazy with the cleaner or it could happen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7