Cleaning out the radiator myslef?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Most acid concrete cleaners contain muratic acid which causes instant rust in metals. I just used a product made by called restore plus to clean mine and wow what a difference it made! Went from running warm with rust circulatin through the system to running cool and clean after the restore plus. This flush is an acid based flush available at just about any heavy truck supply business. Hope this helps

yea, now this is what i was looking for, i have heard of pulling off rads and using acid. its actually what i did for my old tractor but it was to far gone with thin tubes that kept bursting. it is also over 50 years old, the rad on my truck looks fine and as far as i know is working fine i was just looking to do some pm to keep it that way.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF it ain't broke, don't fix it. As said, you cannot rod out a Ford radiator (turbulators), each tube is slightly dented on each side forming like a wiggle tube to impede the flow. To clean a rad that is plugged or has a lot of calcium deposit, the tanks have to be removed, then soaked in a tank with hot caustic solution, time depends on how much deposit there is. You surely don't want to clean it with it hooked to the engine. The deposits can drop out in the engine or plug the oil cooler especially if the t'stat is not removed. The pic is up until the degass bottle was incorporated. Useing steam distilled water in the coolant mixture will prevent calcium build up.

You must be registered for see images