Cleaned up the old gal

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep an eye on it, chances are I won't have to tow or haul too much super heavy stuff with this truck. If I get to that point it should only take less then an hour to flip em back the other way.

Nah, don't flip them back to stock, just get some fatter shackles whenever your funding allows it, then swap when need calls for it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm temped by those shackles....

Too bad they won't fit under the bed. Mine will have to be replaced in another few months due to rust. I wonder if I could drill new holes to offset then down enough to still fit. Hmmm........

EDIT: Now I realize you flipped the shackle. Looks like they would fit my frame after all.

Last edited:

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Nah, don't flip them back to stock, just get some fatter shackles whenever your funding allows it, then swap when need calls for it.

Alright, that's kinda what my plan was anyways. These are some pretty HD shackles coming off a 05 F450. What kinda shackles would you recommend if I decide to replace em down the the road?

So you get someone to drive the truck, while you hang down from the bed off to the side of the truck and weave a rattle can around? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

LOL Might be easier to do when you have the bed off. Couple ratchet straps & some good hand signals! ;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Yes, I'm temped by those shackles....

Too bad they won't fit under the bed. Mine will have to be replaced in another few months due to rust. I wonder if I could drill new holes to offset then down enough to still fit. Hmmm........

EDIT: Now I realize you flipped the shackle. Looks like they would fit my frame after all.

Actually the only reason they don't fit is because I mounted em just a hair too high. Front & rear shackles were all custom drilled by me, I had the room & should have mounted em just a hair lower. If I would have it should have enough room to clear. All bolts are 1/2" Grade 8.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2440081280103447628bXHyzA]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2253126530103447628pPZESd]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
why do people keep doing the flips this way? its wrong, i cut the bottoms out of the hanger or use a front hanger in the rear and have the shackle out the bottom and that give it a lift so you can remove the blocks.. where is everyone getting the idea to do them this way?

ray

RedTruck

Reaction score
Obviously your spending too much time under a dog, instead of your truck. LOL ;Poke

I paint mine while it's on the truck, and spinning. :eek: :D Looks more like a driveshaft that way. :angel:

Mel,

Does any of your past experience involve a unicycle, 3-4 chainsaws, and some clown makeup?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do people keep doing the flips this way? its wrong, i cut the bottoms out of the hanger or use a front hanger in the rear and have the shackle out the bottom and that give it a lift so you can remove the blocks.. where is everyone getting the idea to do them this way?

Ray, using front hangers in the rear most definitely works, but sometimes you gotta work with what you got. But I'm curious, what you got against this way of doing the shackle flip, why you think tis wrong?

As for cutting the bottom of the hanger, don't think tis a good idea, as you remove metal from where it helps the road force transfer and the structural integrity of the hanger.