Choosing a Turbo for your IDI: Turbo Components, Specs, and Compressor Maps.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An s369, gtx4594r, and gen two pt7068 would do it for you. As for the flange, I make my own but you can buy cast pieces like this on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183473503782

i have found many of those elbows. but again that transitions from the up pipe to that 90° i having trouble with. i am tempted to eat the 600$ for T4 set up for a powerstroke and chop it up to make it work.

turbos i have looked at s369xe for decent price but you mentioned earlier it would be laggy.

then i saw this GT3788R Dual Ball Bearing not a lot info on it. probably a ricer turbo anyways.

so let me state my bronco will be used for a daily driver so MPG is a factor. my 79 with 7.3 got over 20's consistently, and i hope with turbo, better pump, and mods with my next one ill be closer to 30, i know not realistic but I'm trying. it is also going to be trail rig so torque to climb over rocks at idle is another must. (hence I'm going to be getting a torque type 4 came soon, especially with my gears). and then also push sprints cars on the weekends.

the turbo and the fuel is more for my enjoyment, fun factor

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned how the r&d kit is benificial because it moves the turbo, is that just for easier access or are there other reasons?

Seen a comment on clutches. I haven’t installed it yet but I had south bend clutch redrill an idi smf to fit powerstroke pressure plates then got one of their 425hp/800ft lb rated single disk kits. I just wanted something more than a luk hd kit that people slip with 250hp lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned how the r&d kit is benificial because it moves the turbo, is that just for easier access or are there other reasons?

Seen a comment on clutches. I haven’t installed it yet but I had south bend clutch redrill an idi smf to fit powerstroke pressure plates then got one of their 425hp/800ft lb rated single disk kits. I just wanted something more than a luk hd kit that people slip with 250hp lol.

i have a feeling i will be doing the same thing soon

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a little nervous running a 13” clutch. The new holes are very close to the edge but he said they do that for people all the time and never had an issue. Mansel is the guy that hooked me up

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have found many of those elbows. but again that transitions from the up pipe to that 90° i having trouble with. i am tempted to eat the 600$ for T4 set up for a powerstroke and chop it up to make it work.

turbos i have looked at s369xe for decent price but you mentioned earlier it would be laggy.

then i saw this GT3788R Dual Ball Bearing not a lot info on it. probably a ricer turbo anyways.

so let me state my bronco will be used for a daily driver so MPG is a factor. my 79 with 7.3 got over 20's consistently, and i hope with turbo, better pump, and mods with my next one ill be closer to 30, i know not realistic but I'm trying. it is also going to be trail rig so torque to climb over rocks at idle is another must. (hence I'm going to be getting a torque type 4 came soon, especially with my gears). and then also push sprints cars on the weekends.

Search for bellowed up pipes for the 7.3. They have flex built in.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bellowed up pipes are a great suggestion. I think if you are going for mileage and responsiveness, go for a compound setup. I built this one with a gtx3582r as the manifold charger sitting in the 093 factory location, then a t4 s366 as the atmospheric charger. This would be a great setup for your power level, you could even go smaller with the manifold charger if you wanted good response/mileage

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You physically cannot fit much larger of a turbo in the stock locations, the hypermax and sidewinder being the exception but requires you to severely maw your firewall. The R&D kit places it in an easier location to plump oil drains and piping, and has a flange tapped for t3 and t4 for much more turbo options.

If you want a clutch you will never have to worry about, I worked with clutch masters to develop a bolt on dual disk for the idi rated at 1200 ft lbs.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bellowed up pipes are a great suggestion. I think if you are going for mileage and responsiveness, go for a compound setup. I built this one with a gtx3582r as the manifold charger sitting in the 093 factory location, then a t4 s366 as the atmospheric charger. This would be a great setup for your power level, you could even go smaller with the manifold charger if you wanted good response/mileage

that would be looking good in there. now just need the fuel to make them both spin...

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a little nervous running a 13” clutch. The new holes are very close to the edge but he said they do that for people all the time and never had an issue. Mansel is the guy that hooked me up

there is a luk single mass flywheel on there now. i was considering doing a power stroke pp and clutch upgrade, but didnt know if my flywheel would work or not

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be looking good in there. now just need the fuel to make them both spin...
Sorry pic didn’t attach here’s the setup
You must be registered for see images attach

It takes less fuel to spool compounds than a big single

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry pic didn’t attach here’s the setup
You must be registered for see images attach

It takes less fuel to spool compounds than a big single

and that on a factory system?

how do the connecting rods like all that boost?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
093 turbo kit that was already on this engine. I welded the up pipe and y pipe together because I’ve had issues with them separating at higher boost levels.

It’s a na engine with na rods, I really don’t like building the na engines but this will be a test mule to see what it will take. The ip that’s on it is pretty tame, like 130-140cc peak so it shouldn’t break anything without putting more fuel to it.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You physically cannot fit much larger of a turbo in the stock locations, the hypermax and sidewinder being the exception but requires you to severely maw your firewall. The R&D kit places it in an easier location to plump oil drains and piping, and has a flange tapped for t3 and t4 for much more turbo options.

If you want a clutch you will never have to worry about, I worked with clutch masters to develop a bolt on dual disk for the idi rated at 1200 ft lbs.

100% agree with you concerning R&D. I think it's the best engineered kit out there especially for those of us who don't have time to install and pull the engine the required amount of time to get it all fabricated and done correctly.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What flange does the factory turbo use? That dual disk was prettt expensive if I remember right? I’ve got about 750 in that south bend set up