checked oil it was 3 quarts low and have been using it as daily driver...

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 7.3 idi about a month and a half ago from a dealer and they said the oil looked fine and didn't need to be changed so I took their word for it. I checked the oil level the other day and the dipstick was dry... I immediately put oil in and it took three quarts to fill it to the halfway mark. Just wondering if I did any damage to the truck. I know these engines are pretty much indestructible but I have been driving it a lot and noticed a low humming sound during idle that I have not heard before. that was the reason I checked oil. My temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge stayed normal throughout this time period. what do you guys think?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Even though the oil gauge is a dummy gauge, as long as it works and it's reading pressure, you had at least 7psi.

I once drove around my FIL's brick nose for a DD for a few weeks. One night I noticed that at a hot idle, the oil gauge would fall to zero and a light illuminated on the dash. Ended up taking almost 6 quarts. That was years ago and it's still running around today.

Run a cycle of autoRx through it and see what it does

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These idi engines have a 10 quart oil pan. If you use the motorcraft fl 1995 powerstroke oil filter it has 1 more quart capaSITY. THE RECOMMENDATION IS NOT TO ADD OIL IF THE LEVEL IS IN THE CROSS HATCH AREA OF THE DIP STICK. THAT BOTTOM OF THIS IS 2 QUARTS LOW. sO YOU WERE NOT IN DANGER OF HURTING THE ENGINE. tHESE ARE LOW PRESSURE HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMPS TOO. THE THE GARDEN VARITY SMALL BLOCK CHEVY HIGH PRESSURE LOW VOLUME OIL PUMPS. lESSON LEARNED HERE IS NEVER TAKE ANYONES WORD FOR MECHANICAL INFORMATION WHEN PURCHASING A CAR OR TRUCK. Sorry about the caps. I use a keyboard by looking at the keys. Not what I just posted. Keyboards are not my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online