Cheaper, gas or diesel???

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd say five years is long term and if something was going to grenade, it would have by now. I ran about a year's worth of my waste oil through my 100 hp Farmall one season but I had a tight sphincter the entire time. One thing I learned from another guy is that synthetic oils aren't the best oil to try and burn this way. Their burning point is a lot higher than dino oils so if the engine is really HOT or working hard, they can just blow it out the tailpipe. Also, some oils are very resistant to dilution so that's probably why you have mixing issues. By your pic, you must be running a 6.2L. Why are you here, you GM puke ( : < ). (I can say that because I had a diesel Blazer for about 10 years and liked it.)

Sorry but I have to raise eyebrows at claimed 26-27 mpg, especially when it's all a guesstimate. To me, that means you are claiming that the laws of physics don't apply to you.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd say five years is long term and if something was going to grenade, it would have by now. I ran about a year's worth of my waste oil through my 100 hp Farmall one season but I had a tight sphincter the entire time. One thing I learned from another guy is that synthetic oils aren't the best oil to try and burn this way. Their burning point is a lot higher than dino oils so if the engine is really HOT or working hard, they can just blow it out the tailpipe. Also, some oils are very resistant to dilution so that's probably why you have mixing issues. By your pic, you must be running a 6.2L. Why are you here, you GM puke ( : < ). (I can say that because I had a diesel Blazer for about 10 years and liked it.)

Sorry but I have to raise eyebrows at claimed 26-27 mpg, especially when it's all a guesstimate. To me, that means you are claiming that the laws of physics don't apply to you.

Well I am figuring my mileage on the fact that I can go around 440 miles on a tank that only holds 18 gals w/o running out all the way and figuring map miles ... you do the math I went from Farmington NM all the way across HWY 60 to Boise City OK., MapQuest shows it to be right at 442 miles divide by 18 gals (if I was to run it bone dry and ) and see where you come out, and I didn't run out btw

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had over 10 different diesel trucks of all makes and models, logging hundreds of thousands of miles, I have never once seen 26 mpgs ever. Realistically any diesel 1 ton truck is gonna average about 16 mpgs, freeway about 20% more. 90 percent of most peoples driving isnt going 65 mph down a straight highway.

Also having much experiance with 6.0 liter chebbies, I know for a fact a gas truck can rival a diesel in fuel economy department. And the best part is there is little to no maintainance on one. Change the oil, tuneup every 100k, and an air filter every couple years and thats about it.

As far as running waste oil, the biggest thing is you have to have access to it. Around here its been discovered. Any mass quantities are either getting burned in waste oil heaters, or paid to be taken away. You also have to be willing to put up with possible break downs or complications from running it. If its your soul truck and you depend on it, that could cause major problems.

For a majority of people a gas truck makes more sense practically and economically ...

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was figuring that I still had at least a gal in the tank at that mileage and i also went from the far side of Farmington NM (about another 20 miles)
About the synthetic oil .. I have had a problem with syn and non-syn mixed together ... they tend to set up like jello ... but a little gas seems to break it down pretty good after a couple days ... and a little sloshing around in the tank in the back of the truck ... next thing i am going to do is to get a water heater to heat the oil and gas or diesel mixture to around 200 degrees and then filter it through a hydraulic filter then a cluster of fuel filters before putting it into my tank in the future ... and I have had this truck to 127 mpg one time ... I had a gear vendor o/d and was putting 5.5 liters a minute of H2 into the intake ... i went 306 miles on 2.4 gals of diesel lets see someone beat that

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No..its not that I cant believe it, its that it is not possible.

1 gallon of liquid Hydrogen gas: 33,700 Btu
1 gallon of diesel: 139000

It sounds like you were putting HHO gas through it? I certainly dont think you were running liquid hydrogen.

Anyways 309 miles would physically require more than the BTU contents of 2.x gallons of diesel + hydrogen.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What I am saying is to move the mass of the truck that distance...would require much more energy than what you are saying was consumed. Therefore, not possible. 1 gallon of hydrogen would equal a LOT of hydrogen gas (1 gram of hydrogen would equate to 22.4L of hydrogen gas).

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

click pic for more details.
8k lbs empty.
the rest of the details in sig.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I was running a HHO mix ... and its possible I did it .. the amount of fuel in a liter of Hydrogen-oxygen mixed is unbelievable .. and it causes the diesel to burn completely .. just as soon as i can get another O/D unit I will prove it

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
5.4 will pull good up to around 7,000 pounds with overdrive off. From what I've read online about the 5.4 in a 250 is pulling they get around 9 mpg. The diesel will out last the gas job. If you're only pulling once in a blue moon the gasser may be cheaper for you in the long run with maintenance costs tho.

2005 F250 FX4 Standard Cab 8' Bed 5.4L auto
^our farm truck...
Best it's ever gotten was 12.5 mpg (drafting a semi on the Ohio turnpike).
We have had it down below 2 mpg.
I'm not impressed with it.

buy a civic for commuting....or some other 30+ mpg car...save the truck for workin. your wallet will thank you

Agreed.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The amount of fuel in 1 liter of HHO gas is extremely small. The only thing it will do is help burn the diesel a little better like propane. You will not see a 800-1000% gain. It's impossible. If you said 10% I could accept that. Nope.