Changed my 7.3 Fuel filter head to a 6.9 head, I have a question.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I changed my filter head to the older filter head to delete the fuel heater. Is there a filter that will interchange with the NAPA 3811 that has the water separator pet-**** on the bottom? On a good note I have all my fuel leaks solved and the truck fires up nicely at 20 deg.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I used the search feature before posting .

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
FWIW, now you are running without a fuel/water separator.

There's not ( to my knowledge) a fuel filter w/sep available that will fit the 6.9 filter head. Most people do just the opposite of what you did. Change the old style, to the new, to get rid of the 6.9 water separator.

Get a coupla fuel heater o-rings and repair your 7.3 filter head?

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I'll tear into the 7.3 filter tomorrow and give it a whirl.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried and I could not find the filter your looking for. I added a filter ahead of the OE filter that has a water trap. Napa/Wix sells the filter and mount pretty reasonably and every auto parts store (even VatoZone) stocks the filter.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The 6.9 header is much more robust and trouble free. I would keep it and add an additional fuel filter/water seperator. I added a racor 225 unit.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Racor used to make a hybrid filter that had the 6.9 threads at top and the 7.3 style water seperator on the bottom of the filter. The stock 7.3 bowl would screw right onto that sucker. I loved those filters and used them until Racor discontinued their production.

I swapped to 7.3 filter heads to avoid running separate water seperators. I removed the heater from the filter head, tapped it with an NPT pipe thread tap, and finally used a pipe plug with thread cement to permanently eliminate the fuel heater and it's potential for leaks.

Heath

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Racor used to make a hybrid filter that had the 6.9 threads at top and the 7.3 style water seperator on the bottom of the filter. The stock 7.3 bowl would screw right onto that sucker. I loved those filters and used them until Racor discontinued their production.

I swapped to 7.3 filter heads to avoid running separate water seperators. I removed the heater from the filter head, tapped it with an NPT pipe thread tap, and finally used a pipe plug with thread cement to permanently eliminate the fuel heater and it's potential for leaks.

Heath

I put new orings on it today but if it leaks I will do what you did. I do like the 6.9 base though, I could just add a separator. I have a couple water separators off a deere tractor that I could use.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I went through the technical description on ever filter Wix makes at one point, no water separators that will fit the 6.9 head. There is a "universal mount" that will take a GM 6.2 spin on fuel water separator though, I put mine in the same place as the factory water separator, I can look up the part number if you are interested.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Please Hyde....picture as well if you could.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Wix 24309/Napa 4309 Will take a 33123/3123 fuel/water separator
You must be registered for see images attach

Mounted on my truck
You must be registered for see images attach