You must be registered for see images attach

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, I had to return the one they sent me. It was twisted like some have had and needed some force to bolt in. And as soon as I got coolant in it, it leaks in the middle of the fins etc. I ended up with a legitimate NEW copper and brass one from here.
http://www.thermalsolutionsmfg.com/automotive-parts-catalog/

That said it had a couple seeps in the top tank after 15 months, local shop re-soldered it, problem solved.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the original poster isn't very active anymore. For those of you who have installed the 4 row (or 3 row) Champion radiators, did you keep the OEM fan?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the original poster isn't very active anymore. For those of you who have installed the 4 row (or 3 row) Champion radiators, did you keep the OEM fan?

Yes, those radiators bolt in like the stock unit and everything stock fits. You must use the stock fan with a good clutch on it if you are going to tow. If you want to try electric fans, you will need two very powerful units, and you will also have to upgrade your alternator to run them. Ordinary fans you can buy in the parts store don't pull enough air. Been there done that.

I ended up locking my fan so it turns all the time to keep it from overheating towing in the hot summer months. The replacement clutches don't have a very good track record, so I didn't spend the money on one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I can't say specifically on the idi, but other vehicles I've seen pretty good results with the Hayden severe/heavy duty clutches.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those radiators bolt in like the stock unit and everything stock fits. You must use the stock fan with a good clutch on it if you are going to tow. If you want to try electric fans, you will need two very powerful units, and you will also have to upgrade your alternator to run them. Ordinary fans you can buy in the parts store don't pull enough air. Been there done that.

I ended up locking my fan so it turns all the time to keep it from overheating towing in the hot summer months. The replacement clutches don't have a very good track record, so I didn't spend the money on one.

At the moment I don't have a need to tow anything so I think the OEM setup should be good.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say specifically on the idi, but other vehicles I've seen pretty good results with the Hayden severe/heavy duty clutches.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Every comment I see on the replacement idi fan clutches complain about the clutch coming on a little late. The engine is very hot before it actually will kick in. Some people monkey with the thermal spring on the clutch to make it come on earlier.