Champion aluminum radiator specifications, including comparison to OEM

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I installed an Ebay cheap-o from Monster Rad in California. It LITTERALLY bolted RIGHT in. I was surprised to see EVERYTHING line up perfectly

I am also glad to see many more members jumping on the bandwagon and replacing their factory rads with these aluminum rads. They really are nice to have, and they cool like a refridgerator.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that didn't line up quite right on mine was the holes for the fan shroud. But seeing how the fan shroud is plastic, I just forced in to place.
Didn't create any clearance issues like you are experiencing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make a 4 row aluminum radiator for our trucks? I was told that anything less than a 4 row for the idi's will not be able to dissipate heat as well. I currently have the stock radiator in my truck....but it was replaced many years ago with the OEM rad. Just wondering if an aluminum 3 row cools as good as the OEM 4 row.

They claim aluminum transfers heat better than brass, and so it does not require as many rows as a brass radiator.

I am using one of these radiators also. My truck was overheating on a hard pull, and my original radiator was getting thin on the bottom anyway, so I decided to get one of these aluminum ones off ebay. My back sure did like installing the much lighter aluminum radiator, but it didn't cure my overheating problem. Fixing the clutch fan solved that. I just made a 2 hour run heavily loaded, with the pedal pretty much to the floor the whole way, in either 5th or 4th gear, and it ran cool all day long.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They claim aluminum transfers heat better than brass, and so it does not require as many rows as a brass radiator.

I am using one of these radiators also. My truck was overheating on a hard pull, and my original radiator was getting thin on the bottom anyway, so I decided to get one of these aluminum ones off ebay. My back sure did like installing the much lighter aluminum radiator, but it didn't cure my overheating problem. Fixing the clutch fan solved that. I just made a 2 hour run heavily loaded, with the pedal pretty much to the floor the whole way, in either 5th or 4th gear, and it ran cool all day long.

Hmm interesting. Now which radiator do you guys recommend from ebay?? I see a couple different aluminum radiators that are posted. And for the most part, are these a direct fit or is there a little fabriaction needed to get them to fit? I am getting mixed responses from old threads

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Now which radiator do you guys recommend from ebay?? I see a couple different aluminum radiators that are posted. And for the most part, are these a direct fit or is there a little fabriaction needed to get them to fit? I am getting mixed responses from old threads

It's just like you are reading in this thread, it just drops in and bolts up, no modifications. I have no proof, but I believe they are all made in China and probably all at the same place, so whoever you get the best deal with and whoever has the best feedback is where I would buy it.

Reaction score
To address a few of the questions or concerns that have been made.......

1. Yes, I would still recommend this radiator. I hope my posts haven't caused anyone to shy away from this radiator as it is a good 'for the money' choice. For the most part, it is a direct bolt-in affair, but given the price point on something so seemingly labor-intensive to fabricate (LOTS of welding), you have to figure a few things may not come out quite right. And, in fairness, my dilemma with the hose-to-shroud clearance may not be the radiator's fault. Perhaps the new hose's dimensions don't exactly conform to the OE hose's? Granted, it fits both ends perfectly, but how you get from Point A to Point B is up to the manufacturer. FWIW, the hose I pulled off was a 6 month old Gates unit; the new one was a Goodyear. Slightly off-topic, but I was disappointed to find the Goodyear did NOT come with either an internal spring or reinforced walls that would negate the need for a spring, but the spring from the Gates unit transferred easily enough.

2. 'They' don't make a 4-row replacement, at least that I was able to find. I called and researched just about every possible production (i.e. NOT custom) radiator source I could find before buying this one, and it seems every one has gone to a 3-row at best. I was initially discouraged, but after reading up on how many folks have success with 3-row and even 2-row radiators in our trucks, it bothered me less and less. We could get into online debates of physics and materials engineering, but suffice it to say that the industry seems to have figured out ways to make less rows cool just as well as the higher row counts of yore thanks in large part to the use of aluminum. Initially, this left me scratching my head since I know the thermal conductivity of copper and brass is much better than aluminum, which intuitively would make you think aluminum is NOT the way to go. HOWEVER, aluminum's strength over these materials is, well, its strength. This allows for larger tubes without having to up the material thickness for wall strength like you would with copper and brass. For proof, see the pics in my first post that show the tube size difference between the two. It's also what allows systems to run at much higher PSIs than earlier brass/copper systems. It seems as though the benefits of having larger tubes quickly outweighs the benefits of the material's thermal conductivity, so much so that an entire row (or TWO!!!) can be eliminated from the equation and still net the same or better results. Whoops! Looks like I went ahead and got into the physics of it all anyway. Oh well.

3. As you may be able to tell, I did a good amount of research on this before pulling the trigger. FWIW, it seemed as though Champion/American Eagle enjoys a good rep throughout the web, including our trucks. The only IDI-specific issues I saw were repeated issues with shipping damage (hence my picking it up as a Will Call), slight fitment issues like you're reading about in this thread, and one member who reported another member's unit having developed a leak in one of the tanks. The latter seemed to have likely been caused by a bit too much leaning on the rad, which does bring up one potential weakness in these units. Because they are made of aluminum (and thin aluminum at that), it'd be best to avoid leaning/pushing on them while wrenching under the hood as you would with the OEM unit. It's going to be a hard habit for me to break, but I'm working on it. As to the fitment issues, a bend here or a trim there seems to eliminate all of them from what I can tell. As to shipping damage, well, can't help there. The guys at the shop seemed to be fully aware of the problem (I spoke with the guy who handles all the returns), but I kinda just got a shoulder shrug '**** happens' response on that one.

4. For those nervous about installing this unit (or doing the job at all, for that matter), I did a quick how-to on it here: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...r-leak-I-think/page2&highlight=radiator+think. Post #25. Hopefully it gives you a good idea of what's involved. which isn't much, really.

Mike

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point and time I'm giving very serious thought to one of these three core puppies....Just don't need the damage from shipping....ugh...oh well...roll the dice...take that chance eh?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the report ;Sweet Very good chance I'll be ordering one of these in the next few days.

Reaction score
Glad to know this helped you guys. To be honest, it's been a comedy of errors with the cooling system on this thing and getting it to not leak. Simple things like getting the hose and clamp in the right place with the proper tension seem to elude me, lol!

My impressions of this radiator are still very good. Yes, I still have the fit issues with the shroud being so close to the hose, but I managed to get enough play into the shroud that it's only barely touching, so hopefully no harm, no foul. The shroud itself doesn't sit parallel to the radiator, but I think I can fix that by unbolting the shroud and clearancing the holes a bit more.

As to temp, well, that's a curious thing. I swear the temp gauge fluctuates much more with this radiator than it ever did with the old one, but my fan clutch doesn't lock up anywhere near as often as it did with the OEM radiator, so who knows? Until I get a real gauge in there, everything is purely speculation anyway.

Mike

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a tremendous amount of searching and phoning I have decided to order one of these Champion radiators.

Locally I can get a SINGLE row 1.25" high efficiency they say....one company $375.00 another 480.00 and Napa what ever they sell is almost 600 my cost....ugh..recore my brass rad...1000 .....

Local rad guy...showed me an aluminum rad today from one of our trucks...shot! to *****...supposedly some fantasmagorical unit the owner thought...stamped tanks, 5 rows of 7/16" core, was a nice looking rad...but clearly leaking profusely all over...the owner had a new brass rad core installed in an old rad...$1000.00....:confused:

You can see my dilemma, as much as I want to shop local, two things impede my purchase.

1st inadequate product...single row HE won't cut it..IMHO
2nd prohibitively high cost of less than adequate products.

All you US based people have so many more options...ugh...I cannot believe it.

Now for the wife:love: n I to settle how we are going to do this...LOLcookoo ON FRIDAY! .... I have to wait for her approval...:sly blessing:hail before I make a purchase like this;Sweet

Anyway thought I would mention it...Oh and I got 56 bucks for one of my old tall narrow rads today...at recycle yard.

AL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bump from the dead....

So, this may seem silly, but for really no reason other than I wanted to, I've decided to pull the trigger and replace the perfectly-functioning Champion 3-row and install their new 'Monster Cooling' (their name, not mine) 4-row version, Part Number MC1165. It's going in tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd update this thread with a few results from the current 3-row unit for the sake of comparison.

Since installing the Champion unit, the cooling system has seen a few more changes. These include a new t-stat, water pump, and fan clutch (all Motorcraft) and a 13lb rad cap. I also installed an Autometer electric (digital) coolant gauge with the sending unit installed in the 'OVERTEMP' port, so now I have actual temps to report.

Around town, at idle, and at freeway speeds (flat or downhill), the temps hover right around 195°±5°F. On long grades at freeway speeds (unloaded), the temps can creep up to 205°F or so. Temps get a bit hotter when loaded. Now, 'loaded' for me is about 2000-2500 lbs, which comes in the form of 4 sportbikes, a trailer, some miscellaneous bike/camping gear, and some passengers. With this setup, on longer grades (e.g. Cajon Pass, CA14 heading north into Palmdale area, and the long grade on CA127 heading into Shoshone) temps get into the low 230s at worst but usually hover somewhere in the high 210s or 220s with not a peep from the fan.

So, overall I'd say the radiator is doing its job just fine. Why the 4-row, then? Honestly, it's more my paranoia than anything else. The temp gauge might actually be a bad thing for me, because now all I do is watch it like a hawk whenever I'm towing. My hope is that the radiator will drop the temps that much more so I can drive down the road dumb and happy. And if I ever decide I want/need to tow heavier, I'll have the peace of mind of knowing I've got the most cooling I can possibly get.

I plan to take similar pictures and dimensions of the 4-row unit tomorrow during the install and will post them back here. Over the next few months, I'll report back with any findings on temps. Next big bike trip is in early October, which will include going over Cajon Pass and CA127 on my way out to Pahrump. Should be a good test for it.

Hope this helps,

Mike

PS - The 3-row currently installed will be for sale soon. Would definitely prefer a local pick-up for this one. PM me.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I plan to take similar pictures and dimensions of the 4-row unit tomorrow during the install and will post them back here. Over the next few months, I'll report back with any findings on temps.

Please do ;Sweet I've thought about getting one as well.

Fwiw my 3 row Champion has been fan-freakin'-tastic over the last couple (4???) years.

Reaction score
Dimensions and specs on the 4-row are now in the 1st post. This thing is a BEAST! Pics will be there as well, but I'm going to wait to take them until I have the 3-row out for comparison.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online