Centrifugal Supercharger pushing a turbo...

caterpillar

Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? I have a picture in my head to take a centri supercharger, mount it where my ac compressor was and have it feed air into my turbo for more low end boost, what is your guys opinion on this?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The older Link Belt Cranes had a similar setup done like that IIRC.
Would be a sweet setup for sure.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So you're talking about not running the turbine with the exhaust but with a supercharger. Sounds like a cool Idea! Dont know if I will flow enough to run max boost though. Not sure.

caterpillar

Reaction score
No I would keep my turbocharger on the truck now and I would put a centri supercharger on where my a/c used to be, I would feed the intake of the turbo with the supercharger, so that way the turbo is being fed by the supercharger, I would gear the supercharger so at idle it pushed about 2psi of air, then put a blow off valve so it won't overboost the engine completly, this way i have the low end boost.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea, but wrong connection. Detroit Diesel uses this system of Supercharger/ Turbo. I own three of them configured that way, however you can't push air through the Turbo at slow spool speeds because it isn't turning fast enough to handle it. The Turbo will act like a closed valve restricting the flow.

However, if you use the Supercharger to feed air directly into the intake, and use the Turbo to feed the supercharger it will work and work well, if you get the flow rates and tubing sizes right.

At low engine speed, the Supercharger will "come on" early because it's directly linked to the crank speed and will start pumping air. The turbo will come on later [turbo lag] as exhaust pressures increase and exhaust flow increases to "spin" the Turbo faster. The Turbo will then add air flow to the Supercharger.

Superchargers drop efficency as spead increases.. Turbos increase efficency as engine speed increases.. one covers the low end, the other covers the high end.

Good luck.... you will need some to sort it all out.

caterpillar

Reaction score
I see so you can't force air into a turbo but you can force air into a supercharger, Thanks for the info G. Mann

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a matter of timing the ability to move air. At low speed the Turbo isn't moving the blades very fast so the air can't get past them easily, and at high speed the Supercharger is moving good so it can handle being "boosted" by the Turbo.

[sorry, spent to many years working on jet engines, which are actually just fuel driven turbo chargers, in physics principles anyway]

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
What G. Mann said. Feed the engine directly.

Calvin

I did the Turbine thing myself for some time. Still love the sound. Real power from a small package.

caterpillar

Reaction score
So your saying i should customize a pressure chamber so there are two inlets, one for the supercharger(that would be added), and the stock one for the turbo charger.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, Detroit mounts the Turbo directly on top of the Supercharger and the Supercharger "sucks " through the Turbo, which helps the Turbo spool up since it is unloaded by the intake suck of the Supercharger. Seems to work pretty well. Might think about doing that kind of connection. Don't know how your Supercharger is plumbed so you are on your own there.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Now that is just about easy... great! Another thing to think about for later. This would not work so well for a possitive displacment supercharger I think but for the centrifigal one it would be great. Go with a non waistgated turbo then? Covers your out of the hole and pulling the hills at speed.

Nice,

Calvin

caterpillar

Reaction score
would it hurt to plumb the supercharger right into the intake? Cause that is how the turbo is, not much more of an option, no room to plumb tubing anywhere else cept right into the factory whole, I was gonna have a machinist customize the compresser housing so there is a place to run a tube from the housing of the superC to the intake, can i post a picutre, that'd be easier if so how?