CDR valve ?

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Hello again fellow oil burners !
Today i called my local NAPA and I was able to stump them on a question, I just asked if they had a replacement CDR Valve... now these boys that run this place have been around but they never heard of a CDR Valve for the 6.9 7.3 Diesel Trucks.
Mine is the Stock 7.3 with the turbo , it was manufactured in 93 but sold as a 94, the 8th character in the VIN is a K.
Any ideas where to get a new one ?

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Just got one on Amazon, thanks for the quick responses.
What a great support group we have here. So if mine is grey like the engine does that meannit could be the original ?
I just think it needed replacing after all the truck is a 94 with 306570 miles on er.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It could very well be the original one. The other possibility is that somebody replaced it and painted it to match the engine.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember about 7 years ago, these CDR valves were very hard to come by. Glad to see they are more available nowadays

Skagit Scrounger

Reaction score
I just ordered a CDR and the valve groomet from a third party seller on Amazon. Some outfits on there will sell them together as a package, but a couple $$ can be saved by buying them separate... even from the same sellers on there. There wasn't any value in the extra value meal in this scenario.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Having a spare is not a bad idea. They don't go bad sitting on your shelf. I'm thinking Navistar will have these. They are the designers of this engine.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
I did buy one on Amazon , figured on changing the grommets also so i did get them seperate. Either mine was painted grey like the engine or its the original one. Truck has like 330600 miles on er and i bought it in 2011 at 168,000

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost on topic: how much oil should be inside the CDR valve if it's working right? Any downside to just doing away with the CDR and putting in a downpipe, other than the smell?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they plug your internal pressures like in the crankcase and valve covers get to high and you risk blowing a gasket and leaking oil all over not sure about the head gasket though if it sticks open I'd imaginelots of blow by being pumped in the intake resulting in smoking

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are the symptoms when these go bad?

I was wondering myself yesterday. I popped my air cleaner off as soon as I got home and noticed a little smoke/steam coming from the intake. Looks like oil buildup on the mesh inlet screen. I'm just running a paper filter so it's not filter oil.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
what are the symptoms when these go bad?

valve cover leaks, oil pan leaks . When I replaced mine, which looked like it was the original at 228K I had driver/passenger valve cover leaks and small oil pan gasket leak. I replaced the CDR, driver valve cover stopped leaking and I re torque it. Passenger leaked less, so i replace gasket and torque it. Oil pan appear to stop so I torque it. To give you an idea on the condition the CDR and grommet condition. The rubber grommet was like black ABS. I had to break chunks of it off to get it all out. I got the really small stuff out later after I replaced the valley pan and IP pump.