Catastrophic failure- not an IDI, still entertaining

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat - knock on wood, the stock 10.5k halfshafts in the Hummer have held up so far... I think the parts alone to switch to the 12.5k setup are like $10k, so if I start snapping those I might back down on the power till I win the lottery ;)

6neb - didn't even think of the personal threat, but I was lucky - it didn't even ruin the bellhousing, just popped one little hole in the starter area...

Napa - last time I bought a reman in this neck of the woods it was around a grand exchange, but that was probably 5 years ago now...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You an A&P? I'm currently enrolled at MIAT to get the A&P license

I'm not an A&P mechanic, I worked at United airlines in the engine shop as a facilities mechanic... Before they went "bankrupt" and crushed the union we were in. :mad:

I got out of there while I still could.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a valair clutch - reputable company from what I've heard, they're going through pictures of the failure now to see if they'll warranty it or not.

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
I thought it was a givin that if you had a built Cummins, you put a SBC behind it...:dunno

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after they claimed it was out of warranty, they saw the picture and said ya we'll warranty that... I guess they did away with that design eliminated those slots in the backing plate. There are lots of companies that make good high HP cummins clutches... last one I had that was actually in a dodge dynoed over 500 ponies and I had the same TST clutch in that thing for two years, until I sold the truck.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
looking at them at work, and all the stories i hear, hmmvw's do nothing for me, ifs all around. cv shafts, ew. i'll take my scout anytime,place or day hands down. after seeing that broken balljoint too... :puke: at the truck pulls once a guy had a stock one, it got the sled 1/4 way down the track then sat there chugging not even spinning a tire. :rotflmao no offense man... cookoo

-Jon