Cat Transmissions

Sbrem

Reaction score
In the April issue of Overdrive there is a small article on Cat's new on road vocational truck automatic transmissions. It says they are based on the trannys in the off road articulated trucks, but redesigned for road use. The CX31 is a 6 speed automatic and the CX35 is an 8 speed auto. CX31 works with C11s up to 370hp, c13 upto 430hp and c15 up to 500 hp. The CX35 goes with the C15 up 625hp. I'm not big on automatics but these sound promising. At least there is an alternative to Allison now. Probably big $$$$$$$ though. It says they start production later this year and will be on sale next year.

Stephen

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Most interesting. Since it will be a Cat it will be painted yellow. Cat paints everything yellow because they want to charge you as if it where made of gold! On the positive side it should be one hell of a tough transmission ;Really
I cant say I have ever seen one of their off road transmissions crap out yet without serious abuse anyway. I hope they spank alison!
Ken

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is great news. Along with Allison, Fuller, ZF and Aisin all make larger truck automatics already.

I hear the Fuller autostick (or autoshift) transmissions are very good.
My neighbor is a heavy equipment repair company owner and he said Aisin transmissions are the best he's ever seen in smaller material handling equipment.

Sbrem

Reaction score
Duke said:
I hear the Fuller autostick (or autoshift) transmissions are very good.

I would think they probably are, because with the exception of the electronics that shift it there are not much differences from the regular RoadRangers.

Stephen

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I drove one of those autoshift trucks once. They do work dam good. If you have one set up with a good jake you can stop almost instantly. It is just really weird to have the truck start droping gears when you step on the brake!
Ken

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how they won't touch the light auto market. Seems like a lot of untapped business could come their way.

Sure seems stupid for Ford to give Allison, a subsidiary of its' biggest competitor (GM) money for transmissions, don't it? been doing it for 30 years, too.

Especially in the F-750 size trucks.....Fuller autoshift makes a trans that would fit right in there.

Can't get an Autoshift in an IH till you get to the 7400/9300 series.

Last edited:

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Driven a 10 spd autoshift in buddies Freighshaker Toterhome. Like mentioned...it works SWEET. Just can't even understand how it does it so smooth and controlled, especially with a jake too. If you time everything just right, you don't have to push the clutch till it darn near stalls out(ya, did that once...forgot it had a clutch after 4 hrs of driving).

I don't ever see anything like that in a lighter duty truck. Way overkill and you all know how the factory builds them on the edge of survival...never overkill! Where was I reading someone was wanting air brakes on a <26K truck. Never happen, not needed as far as factory is concerned. Darned engineers don't ever think you need that stuff.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IH will do it if you ask them.

My prediction is that in 10 years, our light duty trucks will have equipment like this.
All it takes is enough customer demand!