carrier lift pump dead

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, ALL fuel pumps like to push. the closer to the tank the better.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to inject a second view into this matter of "warranties"
First, are you using the product for it's intended purpose?
This product was designed to pump diesel fuel to a refrigeration unit.
Are you feeding it diesel fuel or are you feeding it a self created cocktail?
Are you pumping it into a refrigeration unit?
Only you can honestly answer this question.
IMHO this is the reason why this country is in the trouble it is in.
Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for their actions.
Case in point.
We are using these pumps inconsistent with what they are designed for and we are also feeding it a cocktail that is not consistent in purity or quality.
How can we hold the manufacturer responsible for the product if we're using it outside for what they originally sold it for?
If you want to push the envelope of the norm, do be prepared to accept the fact that things will go wrong.
I've been warning about the use of mixes greater than 50% wwo(waste whatever oil) to diesel fuel for a few years now. There is a danger with causing serious damage to your motor. You can choose to listen or not. But you also need to be prepared to face the consequences of when things go wrong and not think that there is a safety net to catch you.
good luck with the "warranty"

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I need to inject a second view into this matter of "warranties"
First, are you using the product for it's intended purpose?
This product was designed to pump diesel fuel to a refrigeration unit.
Are you feeding it diesel fuel or are you feeding it a self created cocktail?
Are you pumping it into a refrigeration unit?
Only you can honestly answer this question.
IMHO this is the reason why this country is in the trouble it is in.
Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for their actions.
Case in point.
We are using these pumps inconsistent with what they are designed for and we are also feeding it a cocktail that is not consistent in purity or quality.
How can we hold the manufacturer responsible for the product if we're using it outside for what they originally sold it for?
If you want to push the envelope of the norm, do be prepared to accept the fact that things will go wrong.
I've been warning about the use of mixes greater than 50% wwo(waste whatever oil) to diesel fuel for a few years now. There is a danger with causing serious damage to your motor. You can choose to listen or not. But you also need to be prepared to face the consequences of when things go wrong and not think that there is a safety net to catch you.
good luck with the "warranty"

im not going to f-@# with the warranty and i know that i was pushing the limit of the pump but dont worry ill figure out a better way to feed my engine

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not going to f-@# with the warranty and i know that i was pushing the limit of the pump but dont worry ill figure out a better way to feed my engine
i know you weren't going that route, I was referencing to the talk about holding the mfg to the warranty on the pump.
like russ said, electric pumps do better pushing than they do pulling.

M

maxdiesel

How long did the pump take to die was it sudden death or were you able make it home?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add to what Towcat said...not only do most fluid pumps push better than pull at the intake, but restricting the intake loads the pump a lot more than restricting the output. "Loading" the pump means it draws more electrical current. More current equals more heat. More heat can mean electrical failure.

The best thing to do to pump non-diesel fluids with a diesel pump is to make sure that on shut-down and start-up, the fluid in the pump is diesel. In addition to that, you need to decrease the viscosity of the wvo/wmo by heating it before sending it through the pump. I think the size of the intake hole is less of an issue if you do these two things.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder if the stock mechanical pump will do better than an electric lift pump or what do you guys think about that
a mechanical lift pump will outperform a electric when mounted in the engine compartment area. Electric pumps push better than pulling, whereas mechanical pumps will pull better but will not push as much volume. that is why you see the electric pumps are mounted right at the tank on most competition setups. We can't do that on our trucks due to the feul switching valve. they can't take pressure going through them but can take vacuum. that is why you see most electric pumps mounted just foward of the valve.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Since We are talking about pumps, how about a pump that isn't a holley (to avoid paying for the name) that brings 15psi of fuel pressure and plenty of fuel volume? The guys at the local autoparts are impossible with out a part # but with one they can order it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try one of these, my son used one for wvo on the benz, works fine.

ebay item #380088899504