carrier lift pump dead

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
just so you guys know my carrier lift pump failed
electronics quit but made a hellatious noises and was not pumping
it sucks i that pump was the pumps or pumps oh well im going to run a holley blue or red dont know yet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Really, no kidding? I thought these were the thing! I am waiting to buy one right now. I like that it has the filter in it. Are you sure it wasnt something in your fuel that caused it to fail? I thought these had atleast a year warranty with them.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya the warrenty is what im going to check into but it failed
i was running a wmo mix of 85 wmo and the rest diesel consistantly i dont know if that killed the pump or not but its dead and im pissed now but what can you do
if id be my guess running wmo with 1/8 pipe ports thats a restriction and thats way to small if you ask me for our truck

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/8npt minimum on pump ports, at least drill out the 1/4 pipe fittings to 11/32 IIRC

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well one was plastic and the other was steel incorperated witha check valve i think but i could be worng so it was impossible i thought to be drilled out to go with a gigger pipe fitting

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I think Genlightning drilled out the ports on his pump, maybe he can elaborate if there is anything special...

I hate that you had to be the one to find the failure point of one of these pumps, but in my limited use of my pump, I have had zero problems.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
yes i agree ive had zero problems and have had no comlaints the damn thing just up and quit on me thank god that i had a spare pump on hand i robbed it off the volvo since the trans is bad

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got one fail on Me too, and it was the tank had some algae and slowly blocked the fuel lines so the pump was still pumping but barely and then finally just quit pumping. I replaced My holley with one of this thinking the holley was dead then after this I just cleaned it and the pump was still working so after I got My replacement pump from carrier I just keep the holley on My truck in case this one quits too. Fuel restriction does kill them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure they are good pumps, but nothing is perfect.:dunno

I'd go with a Red, the Blue has a bit too much pressure and will need a regulator.

Heath

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I just put on the Holley Blue. It's cheaper than the red and it comes with the regulator in the box.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great deal!

I've only seen the Blue listed for more than the Red and you had to buy the regulator separtate?:dunno

Heath.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya thats what im thinking of going with the holley blue
question where should i mount it i had the carrier in the engine compartment can i put the blue in the engine compartment or will i have to mount it on the frame

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ya thats what im thinking of going with the holley blue
question where should i mount it i had the carrier in the engine compartment can i put the blue in the engine compartment or will i have to mount it on the frame

I don't disagree the carrier pumps are good but I was hoping for something better. They don't do well with cold fuel much less with cold wmo. I wouldn't trust the holley on the engine compartment, but right next to the fts is a better fit since they seem to push better than they pull. I have the carrier right now and it is very close to the IP but the pressure doesn't build up until after the engine is warm :dunno

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
They don't do well with cold fuel much less with cold wmo. I wouldn't trust the holley on the engine compartment, but right next to the fts is a better fit since they seem to push better than they pull. I have the carrier right now and it is very close to the IP but the pressure doesn't build up until after the engine is warm :dunno

I wonder if maybe the Facet would do better pushing? I may rethink my set up and move it down lower. Mine runs 6-8psi right off the bat ( we're in the 30*s here). May have something to do with differences in the Ford and Chevy plumbing?

As for enlarging the ports, I was only able to do the input side as the output fitting in the pump can't easily be opened up. There's been 2 failures with these pumps, both, I believe, were running WMO and the pumps were up higher. I wonder if running it down lower might be the key?

I did check with my supplier, and he really doesn't want to get involved with warranty issues :mad: But you should be able to take it to a Carrier dealer. Wish I could offer more help. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online