can't turn the fuel up

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
why can't I???
my old pump could be turned up or down with ease. This one I can't turn it up, or down. I figured it was a leverage problem, so I took the pump out. I still can't budge the screw any, even with an allen wrench on a rachet.

egts on this truck only get to 700 at the most. I know there is alot more I can do with it.

any suggestions? have any of you had this problem?
drew

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Those fuel screws are dam hard to turn. The last one I did felt like it was going to round out before it moved. Use only a good quality tool and use a good amount of force. If you think it is too hard to move there may be a problem inside the pump. If thats the case, put it back on the way it is or get another pump.
Good Luck
Ken

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok. get this.
I called the local pumpshop where I got the pump. They said, "yeah that happens, bring it in and we can get it."

Now for a little backround.... everyone I know that drives a 7.3 wants to know what I did to make my truck so fast.... it's killer. I was trying to add just a little fuel, and I'd never turned up the pump.

So, I went to the pump builder. They told me they couldn't turn it when I was there and said they'd soak it and have it good by morning.
while there I chatted with Gene, a really nice knowlegdable older fellow, we talked about a few things, biodiesel being one of them.... he was all for it.

Anyway, just got a call from the 'owner' of the shop. He informed me, the pump was unusable, it was in such bad condition it wouldn't run, biodiesel was obviously to blame.
When I mentioned that I had only wanted a screw turned, he said, that the pump would be ready in the morn for $500+
I told him put it all back together, he ****** up... the pump ran great. His only response was "If it ran so fine, why'd you bring it in"

so he is putting it together with 'used parts'
he mentioned I'd be "lucky" to get the engine to run.

looks like I'll be dropping a line to Mel pretty soon about a moose pump.

later,
Drew

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ouch, sounds like someone got there orders mixed up. i wonder what it was that made it run so well then? might be a new secretLOL

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I went and picked it up today.
the man told me I couldn't run the truck 10minutes without melting the engine, I was running twice as much fuel as is stock.

I informed him I was running it for the past 15k miles that way, and heck, I went there to have them turn the fuel up.

ohh well, no charge, I might install it later, tho I'm afraid of what they may have done to it. Either way, I still need a moose pump.

Drew

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have an old 6.9 that's got easily 200k on it, with from what I can tell is the original pump. And that thing will literally smoke tires. I mean I have to try to keep it from breaking them loose. I dont know what is so good about that thing, but I am definitely going to check the timing on it before I ever mess with anything because it's got all kinds of power.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen huge differences in power in the IDI's that I've owned (5 now). I wish I knew the secret....

It isn't gearing, my most powerful one was in a van with 3.55 gears.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think id want the company that "screwed up" to get you a good used pump, not your fault that they mixed up orders and now you have a pump you dont trust, you took it there for a service, not only was that not done but now its a nonuseable part. but thats just my 2 cents, but if they didnt give you a copy of the work order with what you wanted done it will make it a little harder but still, whats right is right

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roboto is right, there is a lot fo variability in these things, IPs, fuel mileage and power, longevity. I just don't know enough about them to even offer an opinion. The guys that rebuilt my last IP said you shouldn't be able to go more than about 1/2 turn on the fuel screw, since 6 flats would be a full turn thats about 3-31/2 flats would bottom it out according to them. I thought I bottomed mine then backed it out 1 flat or so. I thought it would be a real fire breather and I might have to turn it down some but instead it has almost no smoke and I have a tough time making the EGT gauge see 750 or 4psi boost. Then again I have yet to really load the thing down. Biggest load was a full bed of oak logs, unknown weight, split into around 1 full cord of wood. Not light, but nowhere near as heavy as many of you guys pull.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
My stock pump was damn good too before I went to the dps stuff. I don't know if it was tweaked for Fire Dept use but it ran great. My first turbo pump from Ken was way better than the second. Hard to say what makes one better than the other. How ya been? Might stop in again sometime in Jan. Gotta take another trip to Valdosta. Am I welcome in a PSD???:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think the DPS pump helped or is it just snake oil? There was one guy that called BS on Ken's stuff, said it was worse than the stock pump...then I've heard a lot of guys swear by his stuff. Of course the Stage 1s compromise atomization for more fuel flow. I'd love to see these injectors flow lots of fuel and still atomize it. The GM 6.5 has marine type injector nozzles that are a factory product and flow a ton of fuel. I don't know how different their nozzles are from ours, but I keep waiting for somebody to say they can or cannot be used in a Ford application. If we can't use those, the right way to do it would be something like that.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
apextrans, I don't care what kinda truck you bring by. I like the 7.3 idi, but I'm a dieseltarian.... any diesel will do.
I'll be home jan 17th till near the end of the month. I might want to talk to you about your old water injection system anyway. This time stick around for dinner...

honestly, I'd normally make a big stink about the pump, but it still runs ok and it gave me an excuse to get a moose pump :)

Drew