Cant hear my turbo very well

fordboy324

Reaction score
I can hear it when its idling low and maybe 1/4 throttle but after that it sounds like a regular 7.3. I have dual stacks is that why? Would one make it louder?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Any sort of muffler on it? You should be able to hear it until you get way high in the rpm range, like 2500 on up

fordboy324

Reaction score
No muffler just 3 inch piping to 5 inch stacks. I mean you can hear the whistle in the low range its just not as loud as I expected. Im going to put one 5 or 6 inch angle cut or turn out stack on it soon. Maybe that will help. Is there a way to "tune" the turbo? Ill watch my rpms tonight and see if it stay a whistlin' until 2500 rpms.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the big thick cast-aluminum airbox that came with my old Banks turbo you can't hear mine at all in any RPM range - at least not in the cab...

fordboy324

Reaction score
Mine had that ram air setup on it. i want to take all that off and just run my own DIY intake. Probably spool a lot better.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well this is what I have heard from people following me. First off they said it sounds good, so that good :D, but besides the point. Then they say that down low, they can hear my turbo above the road noise, and above there stereo, even following at a good distance. Then they say that in the upper RPM range, it sounds like a big block gasser, and that they cant hear the turbo. It sounds normal to me what your experiencing.

If you rig up some sort of intake, you could probably hear some intake side compressor sound, which will help out some.

fordboy324

Reaction score
Yeah I think all the non powerstroke ford motors 80-94.5 sounds like big block gas trucks in high rpms. But mine smokes and thats something a gasser cant do...atleast if its running right:)

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Banks uses a somewhat smaller turbo than what say ATS or Hypermax. ATS and hypermax both use Garrett T4 size cartridges, and Banks liked using Mitsubishi 14B cartridges. They are pretty close to the same size, but banks's uses a much different wheel combination.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i have 5'' single stack and i can here the turbo at the lower end but not at the top end thought so i here what ur saying next weekend im putting on my custom intake so i hope i can here more of the compressor side of things mine to smokes pretty darn good now but but i cant wait to get my stage 1 injectors and moose pump hopefully i can black out the sun

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How hard is a pump to install? How much is the cost?

I wouldnt think it would be all to hard, the hard part would be lining everything up and not getting the pump off timing.

A regular pump is something like $4-500 for a new one. A Moose pump price will change, because it basically rebuilds your pump, and then changes things to its specs. So if its a new pump, the cost of the parts to rebuild it would be fairly cheap, compared to a worn out pump where a lot of things need to be changed.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i dont think it would that hard at all i think timing it would be the hard thing but i think i could figure it out just get a book for your truck read up and go from there easy

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i work for a trucking company and we had some old straight 5'' exhaust tubing laying around painted it with high temp 1200 deg. flat black so far looks great

fordboy324

Reaction score
Was it chrome and then you just painted over it with flat black? I have a red truck with black trim and im thinking about doing black rims black stack. But I also like the Chrome wheels and Chrome stack. Which would you do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online