Cant get trans codes on my obs!

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have an e4od that shifts hard i have tried transX and its full of fluid. I tried to read the abs codes but unplugging the wire under the glove box did jack ****. The scanner said it was supposed to make the light start blinking. Blowd fuse maybe? Or is there a spot that wire usually breaks? I need help im afraid one of these days its gunna shift so hard it'll **** its guts on the road.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Im using a snap-on scanner (i believe it a vantage model) we use it to scan codes on every vehicle that comes through the doors of our shop im completely confused as to why it says to unhook an orange and black wire under the glove box. I would have thought the codes would just show up on the screen like a normal vehicle

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to make sure the scanner is up to date and that it has the ford diesel diagnostics.not all scanners have it.

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Well it should be up to date we just had to upgrade to be able to run codes on stuff newer than 2010. I have a dinky mac scanner also sometimes it works when the big scanner doesnt i guess i should try it

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
never had to unhook any wires, never had to hold the go pedal down,
and I have used otc4000, snap on brick, otc genesis , otc nemesis.
never used the smartfone app as I have the genesis now

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
never had to unhook any wires, never had to hold the go pedal down,
and I have used otc4000, snap on brick, otc genesis , otc nemesis.
never used the smartfone app as I have the genesis now

Ok i have used the brick before several years back but i dont have access to one anymore... the one we use at my job is a touch screen vantage i think. Im not sure why i cant get trans codes... my truck is a 95 only has engine and abs computer option on the scanner does my trans have a seperate module? Im sorry i dont know anything about an e4od...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Ok i have used the brick before several years back but i dont have access to one anymore... the one we use at my job is a touch screen vantage i think. Im not sure why i cant get trans codes... my truck is a 95 only has engine and abs computer option on the scanner does my trans have a seperate module? Im sorry i dont know anything about an e4od...

You might have to get the PCM re-flashed to be OBD-II compliant. 94 and 95 computers are weird like that... they have the OBD-II connector, but it won't talk to the computer unless the PCM has the right hardware in it.

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
How do i do that...? Do i have to buy a programmer or take my truck somewhere?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
You can send in the PCM to any of the bigger companies that offer a re-flash. It's not something that can be done with the PCM inside the truck as far as I know. If you can't afford to have your truck down for any amount of time, you can always buy a used 96-97 PCM and try it.

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
You can send in the PCM to any of the bigger companies that offer a re-flash. It's not something that can be done with the PCM inside the truck as far as I know. If you can't afford to have your truck down for any amount of time, you can always buy a used 96-97 PCM and try it.

Thanks a million i will give it a shot!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from the TDS. It might help. You may have to have a Dealer Flash the PCM if they still have the ability to do it.
Someone mentioned about disconnecting an orange and black wire under the glove box, could it be where those two are disconnected you have to jumper those pins.

I have a 95 350 PSD 7.3 and it has the ODBII connector under the dash only. As far as I can tell it came that way form the factory. My truck was built in June of 95. Some 94's and 95's had the ODBII and the Ford DLC in the engine bay on the driver side by the hood hinge. If so, the "old connector was turned on and that's how you got the codes. However, the PCM could be reprogrammed to "turn on" the ODBII port and deactivate the old port. Of course this is a dealer procedure only and assumes the dealer still has the equipment to do it 20 yrs later....

If your truck only has the ODBII connector a couple of things to know. Do you have power to the cigarette lighter? The lighter and ODBII connector share the same circuit. The ODBII connector needs 12V for a scanner to run.
Second thing: These beasts are not "officially" ODBII compliant which is why the free testing at parts place or the $99 code checkers do not work. However, the software running in the PCM's is very close to ODBII. You can gather real time data and trouble codes that match (closely) to what a true ODBII system will put out.
Third: If you are hunting for ABS codes or tranny codes, they have their own systems. For ABS, there is a connector under dash by the glove box. You have to short a certain pin (I don't remember but easy to find here..) for the ABS light to blink and reveal its secrets. It is a very primitive system (HHHHATE that d@nm RABS valve). Anyway, it only stores one code at a time. The tranny is more of a mystery for me. I know that the "OD" light on the shifter will blink if there are issues. I'm sure someone with more experience knows how to make the OD light give up its secrets...

Scanners: the AE works and it is great. After trying one, I almost bought the system but I was able to get an old MT2500 with the domestic primary (96-2001) and the Domestic Expert Troubleshooter (same year range) at a price I could not pass up. (%-bay...) The Diesel Insight Troubleshooter will work as well (same year range). The only thing I had to do was tell the MT-2500 that I had a 96. I borrowed older cartridges and the 95 entry would not connect because it was looking to connect to the "old" connector under the hood. If you select MY96, it will connect to the ODBII port.

I have older cars (newest is an 02 Grand Prix) so to me, getting the MT-2500 was a better choice... especially for my 95 Hyundai Accent that is on the ODBI side of the transition to ODBII.....