Can someone recommend a good OBD2 Scanner?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Don't want to spend a fortune but with the way this **** is acting, I think I should get one. Preferably one that won't give me false reading (if thats possible). I know nothing about them other than what they're intended use is.

Enlighten me please.

rthomas

Reaction score
i have the actron cp9180 ($150 at auto zone) havent used it for anything other than a basic scan on the psd but it has worked well on other rigs.
get one that you can download addional data onto, most of the cheapies you cant

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
http://www.iequus.com/product_info.php?product_id=3130&category_id=1_10_7

This is the one I have... It reads the diesel but doesn't give you much of the live data... MAP, MPH and some other sensor is it on the diesel... the wifes' Jeep is a whole other story... I can see 30 or more sensors on her truck... and record them to upload to the computer if I want to.

It's only $199 at Checkers right now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.iequus.com/product_info.p...ry_id=1_10_ 7

This is the one I have... It reads the diesel but doesn't give you much of the live data... MAP, MPH and some other sensor is it on the diesel...

That's a big problem on diagnosing the PSD. Many times they won't throw a code and you need the live info to diagnose it. I bought one similar early this year, spent around $300 thinking I was getting all the bells and whistles and it was a worthless waste of $300 to diagnose the cold start / no start condition I had that turned out to be a combination of a bad front timing cover/ lp oil pump and 4 bad injectors and 2 questionable injectors..... and wouldn't throw a code at all. As far as the puter was concerned the engine was in perfect operating condition.cookoo

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
95, have you used either of these? Looks like the Autoxray 4000 would would the job without going overboard.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It's a bit unsettling looking at the sample pages from autoingenuity. I don't know what 98% of that stuff is or does. How detailed is the users manual?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a bit unsettling looking at the sample pages from autoingenuity. I don't know what 98% of that stuff is or does. How detailed is the users manual?

Here it is..... All 118 pages of it.:eek: ......... We'll check on ya in a couple days to see if yer eyes are crossed yet.LOL

Here's a Demo video, Just took a look at it myself and I like it. Looks simple enough.;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
That's a big problem on diagnosing the PSD. Many times they won't throw a code and you need the live info to diagnose it. I bought one similar early this year, spent around $300 thinking I was getting all the bells and whistles and it was a worthless waste of $300 to diagnose the cold start / no start condition I had that turned out to be a combination of a bad front timing cover/ lp oil pump and 4 bad injectors and 2 questionable injectors..... and wouldn't throw a code at all. As far as the puter was concerned the engine was in perfect operating condition.cookoo

Exactly codes on a PSD or any vehicle for that matter, only get ya in the right direction. to diagnose and repair properly you need the data , I have had countless psd issues that throw no code, or try to fix a 1211 code, there are 15 different possibilitys. with a good scanner(not code reader) I can sit in the driver seat, with the hood closed and tell ya why the truck wont start.

of course I just spent $2500 on a OTC genisis, but it does just about everything. I also have a otc4000 enhanced, it is good for up to 99. also had a snap on brick, it worked well, but no graphing and it was slow. also wasted 800 on an otc nemisis, works well, but only does codes and live data.
Granted I use my scanners almost daily, but without them I couldnt do the correct repairs, and verify that the repairs I did actually fixed the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.