Can some of my belts be the same size

idiambulance

Reaction score
I have these three belts for my engine that are about the same size

Power Steering pump - 9630 gates green stripe xl
Alternator - 9600 gates green stripe xl
AC Pump - 9580 gates green stripe xl

I was thinking about having the AC pump and Alternator have the same size belt. Im planning on doing some desert offroad camping so im trying to have some redundancy in things. Is there any big disadvantage to doing this? I was going to have the alternator go down to the 9580 gates green stripe xl. I also might do some research and get a better quality belt.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get time, swap them around and see if they fit. If they do great. But you may run out of adjustment if a belt is too long or too short. It doesn't take much to run out of room in the adjustment slot.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would carry a full set of belts. Even if one belt could replace all three, there’s the possibility of one belt failing and taking one or both of the others in the process. The nice thing about belts is that they don’t weigh much, and can be stashed in lots of out of the way places.

FWIW the gates are a good quality belt.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I change the belts for new ones, I always keep the old ones and throw them behind the seat.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
When I change the belts for new ones, I always keep the old ones and throw them behind the seat.

Yep. A couple years ago, I had to put on a crappy ancient rotten spare ALT belt that came with the RV when it lost it (which of course takes out power brakes too!) in the TX panhandle.

The ALT belt is what I ordered first in Fleet Runner:

You must be registered for see images attach

But then I decided to replace the PS and AC belts too. Plus I got spares for those 2 and an ALT/VP belt since they were all so cheap.

Dunno about pickups, but on vans belt # 9580 is the same for both PS and ALT: