Can overfilled E4OD cause TCC slip code?

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my '93 NA 7.3 CC. HATE the E4OD it's stuck with. Had recurring stalk OD on/off flash. Code 62 ("Trans slip") which someone on this forum informed me was TCC slip. Anyway, I knew the trans fluid was a little over-full since I changed it and the filter several months ago... thought nothing of it since it was only 1 qt too high and I've got a couple of nuisance leaks @ trans cooler & lines. Just for fun I siphoned out the extra quart and didn't think much of it and lo and behold! For the past 2 weeks the light has not come back on! Still shifts like muck, but has not triggered limp-home and flashing light like it had regularly in the past.

By the way, the light never came on before I flushed and overfilled the trans back in Oct., a month after I got the truck.

Has anyone heard of a slight overfill on E4OD triggering slip codes???? Thanks. Sincerely, Andy.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is my trans worth it?

Sounds great. Now, how do I tell if my trans is any good?? It shifts slow and soft but I heard that this is not unusual. I have no history on this truck except that when I pulled the pan off I had approx 2-3 fl oz of silvery/grey muck around the magnet. Fluid was still pinkish. No shiny metal, no burnt smell. Is it possible this trans is good and just needs the product you suggested? I'm quite sure of 2 things: 1. The truck was used to pull. Has a gooseneck and all tow goodies... 2. This is probably not the original trans. Truck has 225000 on it and I was told that NO WAY would the original E4OD last this long. Thanks for your help. okiegringo. Sincerely, Andy.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are made to shift slow and soft from the factory, but there are some things you can do.

First thing, make sure your FIPL sensor (TPS) is adjusted properly and works properly across the range. This is the sensor that tells the trans when and how hard to shift. If it is defective or improperly adjusted, the trans will not shift right.

Second, I recommend some means of increasing the line pressure above factory specs, which are too low. I use "Pressure Riser" which is an electric device, there are numerous electric and mecahnical fixes on the market to address the low line pressure of the E4OD / 4R100 trans. Note that none of these will compensate or fix a defective or improperly adjusted sensor. Check your sensors first, then increase the line pressure.

And yes, overfill will cause TCC slippage. My guess is the fluid foams, and cannot properly engage the TCC since the air bubbles will compress without transmitting enough true pressure to the TCC apply piston. I've made the mistake of overfilling and had the same thing happen.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Frank, that amt of shavings is normal. I had the mushy/ slow shifting etc also. Even had it rebuilt, new clutches etc. Not bullet-proofed, but basic rebuild. Still no change. I bought the TCS and even with the basic "startup" program it shifted PERFECT. I'm still fine tuning it because I haven't had much time to take it out on the road and plug in different "tables" without someone else going "What are you doing, Daddy?" "Are we there yet?" "I'm bored." Or some damn semi's playing "squish the ham":backoff . Then I found bad bearings in drivers side front. Now friggin' snow all over the place. grrrrrr. The Baumann TCS has so many variables that YOU can set and lotsa trick goodie functions, it is definately worth the money. Ford had to make the OEM computer to fit soo many dirrerent driving charastics it can't possibly fit everyone. But the TCS can be set for how YOU want he trans to shift, and WHEN you want it to shift. Shift it manually by pushing a button, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, up or down TC locked in whatever gear YOU want....2 sets of tables, one for around town the other for towing/racing/whatever. You can change line pressure for FIRM/HARD/Cadillac shifts. What more could you ask for? It's perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88