can i reuse parts out of another engine

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 7.3 idi blocks one is a turbo diesel block and the other is not. I want to take the pistons and cam and other internals and put in the non turbo block. Is there anything that i should look for on the cam to tell if i need to get it checked. What to look for on the pistons and the crank. Thanks

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocker arms! take the rocker arms and fulcrums. Anyone with a 6.9 will want them because a better design and they are so easy to swap.

Everything but the pistons and in the case of the turbo IDI, the connecting rods should swap all the way back to a 6.9 if you wanted to so they could be worth something for some one else.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will the pistons not work in the other block because the turbo pistons are the only one that are good out of both engines.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
will the pistons not work in the other block because the turbo pistons are the only one that are good out of both engines.

they will work in a 7.3 or a 6.9(if the 6.9 was bored 110 thousands over) maybe were not suppose to reuse pistons, but i dont see why we couldnt:dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't very clear but thats what I meant to say. The connecting rods, pistons and wrist pins from a turbo IDI must be used as a set. I would expect that the balance of the rotating assembly might also be a little different because of the added weight from the bigger pins.

Something else thats worth taking off the turbo IDI is the oil cooler. Its the same size but has a higher internal fin count so the cooling capacity is higher.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pistons look brand new so il just clean them up and reuse the pistons with the same connecting rods. But the cam has some discoloration on the lobes wat do you think bout that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All cam shafts are the same between the 6.9 and 7.3 motors. The crankshafts are the same also. Even the rods are the same in the non turbo 7.3 and 6.9 motors. The turbo rods and pistons are the only internal item thats really differant. Use the crank harmonic balancer along with the crank from the turbo motor in the swap to the non turbo motor. That way the balance will stay the same. Remember the crank and the balancer are drilled for the proper balance. When I talked to a Mahle piston ingineer about piston balance he told me a piston "could"... Be as much as 14 grams out of balance with the other 7 pistons and still run smoothly......:eek: I don't think so,,,, Scooter..... At least I wasn't going to try it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
All cam shafts are the same between the 6.9 and 7.3 motors. The crankshafts are the same also. Even the rods are the same in the non turbo 7.3 and 6.9 motors. The turbo rods and pistons are the only internal item thats really differant. Use the crank harmonic balancer along with the crank from the turbo motor in the swap to the non turbo motor. That way the balance will stay the same. Remember the crank and the balancer are drilled for the proper balance. When I talked to a Mahle piston ingineer about piston balance he told me a piston "could"... Be as much as 14 grams out of balance with the other 7 pistons and still run smoothly......:eek: I don't think so,,,, Scooter..... At least I wasn't going to try it.

Need to keep a turbo balancer on a turbo engine....:eek: when I was swapping engines around, the one on my 93 turbo block was pretty hammered and I grabbed the balancer off my old 92 n/a block and popped it on. No ill effects....yet, yet being the operative word here. Looks like I need to get a new balancer.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
WHS....... thats where the torque difference came from but it will swap right in with no ill effects

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Need to keep a turbo balancer on a turbo engine....:eek: when I was swapping engines around, the one on my 93 turbo block was pretty hammered and I grabbed the balancer off my old 92 n/a block and popped it on. No ill effects....yet, yet being the operative word here. Looks like I need to get a new balancer.

just pulled one last night, its a little rusty but you can have it for shipping if you are interested.

i thought about pulling the pistons and such but two of the connecting rods were laying in the pan and the crank journals were blue. oops.......

as far as swapping parts engine bearings wear into each other quickly until they get set. trouble is introducing a different part restarts the wear in causing accelerated wear until they wear in. if you are replacing the bearings to its not as big a deal.