Can I ask this here?

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Wifes caravan A604 trans is acting up. Need to find someone knowledgeable to ask questions to. My manuals only go to 94.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont bother,just put a tranny in it.i bet its making the clicking/grinding noise when you put it in gear.typical chrysler tranny.

gandalf

Reaction score
My wife's Caravan, '95 Grand Caravan, also has a bad transmission. It quit shifting out of 2nd gear. It was driveable if you didn't want to go too fast, but I'm sure not good for the transmission. It will eventually have a rebuilt unit.

The best explanation and information I've found about these transmissions is at the following site. Hope it helps you.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Last edited:

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Its a 97 grand caravan. The speedo is wacked out. At idle in park the the speedo needle is all over the place. I put a new speed sensor in. It dawned on me that the speed wheel should not be lined up with the sensor in park. I have never opened one up and my books don't show a schematic of the insides. I was wondering if the wheel that the speed sensor reads moves over with presure when it is put into gear or is the signal interpreted some how in the transmission control module. It is random. Some days its normal. Some days the speedo does not work at all, and some days the needle is all over the place. In drive at an idle at a stop, if the needle starts bouncing you can feel the trans shifting gears up and down. It gets hard to hold the thing at a light.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
these things have three sensors for them. It's a perfect example of why I do not own a chrysler. I've been chasing a problem with my mom's concorde, same issues.

A computer fixed it, got it from a junkyard. I'll see what my chiltons has in it for you though.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Gandalf , many thanks. :hail Your link was most helpfull. Today it was acting normal. I put it in the shop and gave it the wiggle test. I wiggeld the wires at the TCM and it sent the car into spasms. Shut her down and took the loom apart. Cleaned all the connections and put on dielectric grease. Put back together and she is running normal. Hope that was it. As its a intermitent thing only time will tell. Sounds like these are notorious for problems. Many rebuilds for what may be only sensor and or computer problems. The transmissions concept is good actually. And like anything else it has to be treated right to get the max out of it. Got it from my inlaws so I am going to contact them for past history on the service history. They were pretty good about maintanence,(why I bought it from them) but if the mechs used the wrong fluid than its gonna go. I have her talked into the F350 Centurian if its still availible. (Road Trip ;Sweet )

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 98 that did the exact same thing... replaced one of the sensors, and it quit for a while, but it did eventually have to have a new tranny..... good luck with yours!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tanya... Its really good to see your still part of the Ford boards. I don't see you posting on "the other board". I just started over here a short time back and find it better than tds but still help out there too. I look forwards to seeing your posts here. How is your truck running? Your farm was great reading ;Sweet . My family buys horses with the intension of selling them when they are finished but in 13 years nothing has ever been sold. This is why I keep working. Gotta feed them..... :D

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Tanya - I love that truck. I wanted to buy6 one just like that, but couldn't find one....

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICan!!!!!! Good to see you! BJ asked me the other day- exactly HOW MANY horses do we own? 4! We own 4 horses. ( he didn't ask how many ponies tho!) I have 9 on the property, including 2 ponies, my sisters horse, and 2 I have in for training. I think he suspects that I have bought more horses and just didn't tell him lol

Mike- Thank you for the compliment on my truck! I love my truck. :love: I have a 4" block of wood on the clutch pedal so I can reach it. :D Someone told my husband the other day- " I can't believe you let your wife drive your truck as much as you do" ... its *my* truck, he drives a toyota! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.