Can a borescope get thru the pre-cup?

Petes

Reaction score
A friend offered to loan me a borescope (small diameter fiber optic flexable look-see noodle). I'm hoping to have a look at the piston tops in my 6.9 to see if a bit of glowplug is in there... and can maybe avoid pulling the heads just to see.

Has anyone managed to get a borescope in an injector hole and through the hole in the pre combustion cup into the cylinder?? It's apparently "steerable", but I'm not sure about it's bend radius and if it can go around more than one "corner".

Also, I went the cheap route and got a compression tester from Harbor Freight... unfortunately none of the adpters fit - it says it's got a glowplug adapter for a 6.9/7.3 but the section below the threads is too long/too large OD. I considered trying to modify it, but the schrader valve seat make it pretty tough. Has anyone got recomendation for a low-cost compression tester? I hope to only use it once or twice, ever!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, and if it does go thru it may not come out when it catches on the sharp edge of the opening.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Also, I went the cheap route and got a compression tester from Harbor Freight... unfortunately none of the adpters fit - it says it's got a glowplug adapter for a 6.9/7.3 but the section below the threads is too long/too large OD.

I got the same kit and had to modify the adapter, which wasn't too hard. The shrader valve took a bit, since I didn't have the tap for it. I ended up getting a couple of valve stem tools that had the thread repairing part and was able to tap new threads deeper into the adapter. Tedious, but do-able.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont know about the bore scope but i just used one of the other adapters in the kit that just screwed into the threads. dont remember which one though.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Also, I went the cheap route and got a compression tester from Harbor Freight... unfortunately none of the adpters fit - it says it's got a glowplug adapter for a 6.9/7.3 but the section below the threads is too long/too large OD. I considered trying to modify it, but the schrader valve seat make it pretty tough. Has anyone got recomendation for a low-cost compression tester? I hope to only use it once or twice, ever!
I got one from HF too, and discovered that the injector adapter didn't fit, but there is and adapter in the kit that will screw into the glowplug hole - which works just as well...