Camshaft possibilities?

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After so many years of being available I imagine people must have better impressions on the potential for the few different cam grinds for these trucks?

Type4, R&D, etc.

Is there any potential for better efficiency and power in the low to mid range with a quick spooling turbo system installed? Or is the factory cam as good as it gets in that range?

Less smoke under load would be awesome too. I notice the higher power rigs push alot of smoke under load.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After so many years of being available I imagine people must have better impressions on the potential for the few different cam grinds for these trucks?

Type4, R&D, etc.

Is there any potential for better efficiency and power in the low to mid range with a quick spooling turbo system installed? Or is the factory cam as good as it gets in that range?

Less smoke under load would be awesome too. I notice the higher power rigs push alot of smoke under load.

I know @typ4 Typ4 has a cam.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
From what I understand, of the ground cam's available the typ4 cam will be the best for lower rpm power. I'd really like to see the same truck dyno'ed with the different grinds on the same dyno to actually see the differences.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I have a torque cam ready to ship. Works really well with a quick spooling turbo and it will pull all the way through the RPM range.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, of the ground cam's available the typ4 cam will be the best for lower rpm power. I'd really like to see the same truck dyno'ed with the different grinds on the same dyno to actually see the differences.
Yeah was thinking the same thing. Before and after on a turbo and an NA engine would be awesome with the Typ4.

I'm sure the R&D guy Justin has done it, but he leans more into the higher RPM range of things for peak power. Guessing that cam decreases lower end efficiency.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Last edited:

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I have a torque cam ready to ship. Works really well with a quick spooling turbo and it will pull all the way through the RPM range.
All else being equal, does the cam increase cylinder fill at the low range over stock?

What are the affect on boost levels and cylinder pressures?

Trying to increase power in situations like pulling up a hill at 1500rpm under good boost without downshifting.

Very interested.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All else being equal, does the cam increase cylinder fill at the low range over stock?
It should since it's a "bigger" than stock cam. I ran for about four miles before I had a valve break the head off. There was too much material taken off of the heads on the 7.3 that I'm running now to try a bigger cam. I wish I had more experience, but I can say that boy did that N/A 6.9 RUN for those four miles!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would still think that it would improve the cylinder filling at low enough RPMs that the turbo isn't making much boost. Like below 1500 RPM.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really aren't many cam grinds for this platform compared to gas engines, and that's kind of a norm for all diesel engines. Reason being is that I think you'll realize more improvement per dollar by going to a better turbo/system or adding an intercooler then you'll realize by swapping camshafts.

I've never tried a cam from russ, or anybody else on any turbo diesel platform. NA is a different story, and gains can be made stock vs custom cams when NA. But turbo diesels don't really seem to be cam sensitive IMO, and I don't think I've ever seen dyno sheets showcasing improvements from any of the cam offerings I've seen.

Disclaimer: I don't mean this to offend anybody, or call anybody out, it's just my observation on the matter.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both are great products!
I put a R&D cam in Asmith's truck, and the powerband was great.
I have a Typ4 cam, and it grunts off the bottom end!

it all boils down to your intended use of the vehicle.

when you ask for a comparison, remember rear gear plays a huge part in peoples opinions.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really aren't many cam grinds for this platform compared to gas engines, and that's kind of a norm for all diesel engines. Reason being is that I think you'll realize more improvement per dollar by going to a better turbo/system or adding an intercooler then you'll realize by swapping camshafts.

I've never tried a cam from russ, or anybody else on any turbo diesel platform. NA is a different story, and gains can be made stock vs custom cams when NA. But turbo diesels don't really seem to be cam sensitive IMO, and I don't think I've ever seen dyno sheets showcasing improvements from any of the cam offerings I've seen.

Disclaimer: I don't mean this to offend anybody, or call anybody out, it's just my observation on the matter.
To late, lol
My other truck with the exact same turbo and load has less bottom end than the 4x4 and even has lower gears, Difference? the cam. It makes a good , noticeable difference.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Russ' cam in my 6.9. Certainly help it become a usable haul rig.

Unless you don't plan on using your truck as a truck.... meaning if its just a toy/hot rod......... then for me there is only one choice.... typ4's torque cam.

It simply makes your IDI truck better at being a truck.

My two cents anyway.

Heath