camshaft end play

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting assembly of rebuild 6.9. My cam end play is .010". Spec is .002 to .009 I removed gear, spacer etc and checked thrust flange. It is just below minimum thickness. It seem that this is a wear item. Manual says to replace it. Problem is, I can't find one. It is discontinued at dealers, and so far no aftermarket source has been found. I suppose a machine shop could mill it down to accept a shim. Have any of you gone through this? Thanks in advance,
Tom

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do they still call it a thrust flange? i have ran into parts changing names and thats why i couldnt find it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you cant find one at the IH dealer It will be fine, the gear helix is a light load to bear , I had the opportunity to measure a new assy years ago and it was 008 from factory, so it took a long time to wear .002.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That really shouldn't be a problem.. As Russ posted... Not much load on that gear. Once the timing is set the load will be the same on the gear and it wont be moving in or out on you. I have two complete new factory cams with the thrust plate and gears on them. Kinda sick right now but will verify the gap when I can get into the shop. But I really feel its ok to continue building. What shape is the mechanical lift pump lobe in. Sometimes they wear down and become useless.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I wasn't paying much attention when i removed mine...Can you flip them over? Or were the holes offset?

I just threw 3 cams/gears away...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.. these thrust plates can't be flipped over. As for trashing three gears did they have holes drilled and tapped with threads in them... If so those are the unbalanced gears and not worth much more than a boat anchor if that... The newer gears have no tapped holes in them and a large balance lug on the bacside of them. Those are the onew to use to get rid of the harmonic imballance we feel on many engines. Its a resenant vibration feeling that comes and goes as the engine is idleing... Not really a problem.. Just an anoyance..

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the fuel pump lobe rebuilt when I got my cam from typ4. I am planning to run a Motorcraft mechanical pump.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I tried to find one of those improved balance cam gears but they seem to be NLA as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I was able to find the updated cam gears all over the place when I built muy engine. They were after market but they were the better gear.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter how many times I post I need cam cores, this happens.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are going to make Typ4 cry.

Not cry ,just shrug and say oh well, some dont know the value of parts. Like the guy that hauled in a load of rear ends, saw one today, 6 sterlings wouldnt even sell me one at scrap price, im going to start just shooting crackheads when they have IDI parts they are hauling in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online