camper disapointment

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
david85 at 70 mph my tac reads 2500rpms , if i cancelled od then i would be close to 3000 . that is way to high to be comfortable with .
these motors are designed to run at governed speed all day long.
put a turbo and a intercooler in when the money starts flowing again and you will not be disappointed anymore. Also, a hydro will make a huge difference on the stopping end too;Sweet

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 233,000 miles on the IP, you're right, it's time for another injection pump. That coupled with a turbo and you'll be a happy camper (pun intended)!:rotflmao;Sweet

Heath

lol thats funny i dont care who you are.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i called a local pump rebuilder today to see what he would say about the pump and how much he would rebuild it for. he said he would charge $450.00 for a rebuild, but told me to bring the truck in and he would do some test off the return coming out the pump to see just how wore out it is. is that possible? he is supposed to be the best in town, he does all the pumps and injectors for all the marine and equipment dealers in town.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i called a local pump rebuilder today to see what he would say about the pump and how much he would rebuild it for. he said he would charge $450.00 for a rebuild, but told me to bring the truck in and he would do some test off the return coming out the pump to see just how wore out it is. is that possible? he is supposed to be the best in town, he does all the pumps and injectors for all the marine and equipment dealers in town.
more than likely he'll put a timing gun to it and see if it will advance 2deg. if it won't, it's worn out.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I think you've gotten all the advice you need. Sounds like the IP is about done. Is it hard to start when warm? If not I'd try to turn it up a little. You didn't mention whether or not you have an EGT gauge. If not and you turn the pump up don't turn it up much. I'd start with one flat only.

The E4OD will haul your load but you need to put a large tranny cooler (I'm running a Tru-Cool 4130 cooler) and a gauge on it or it will be an E4ODOA for real. I hauled 14,000 lbs (gross 21,000) behind my truck for 1500 miles before I got the turbo. That's with 3.55 gears and 34"tires. I could maintain 65-70 in 3rd except in the hills it would drop to 55 due to backing out of the throttle when the EGT's got too high. I would say you are down a significant amount of power at the moment. Also putting a switch on the torque converter lockup will help it live longer by staying cooler because the torque converter clutch is not slipping between gears.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I think you've gotten all the advice you need. Sounds like the IP is about done. Is it hard to start when warm? If not I'd try to turn it up a little. You didn't mention whether or not you have an EGT gauge. If not and you turn the pump up don't turn it up much. I'd start with one flat only.

The E4OD will haul your load but you need to put a large tranny cooler (I'm running a Tru-Cool 4130 cooler) and a gauge on it or it will be an E4ODOA for real. I hauled 14,000 lbs (gross 21,000) behind my truck for 1500 miles before I got the turbo. That's with 3.55 gears and 34"tires. I could maintain 65-70 in 3rd except in the hills it would drop to 55 due to backing out of the throttle when the EGT's got too high. I would say you are down a significant amount of power at the moment. Also putting a switch on the torque converter lockup will help it live longer by staying cooler because the torque converter clutch is not slipping between gears.
dirtleg i have a aftermarket cooler on the trans already. the truck is not hard to start cold or hot. im going to ask a stupid question, but by turning up the fuel screw 1 flat could it cause the truck to use less fuel? probly not but was just asking.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more than likely he'll put a timing gun to it and see if it will advance 2deg. if it won't, it's worn out.
towcat by using my timing meter i can move the timing 2* by plugging and unplugging the advance on top the pump.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jtate, the only reason I asked about overdrive is because with 3.55 gears, your overdrive would have been pushing your RPMs too low (under 2000 @ 70). But since you have 4.10s, leave it in OD. 2500 RPM is a PERFECT RPM for towing that kind of weight. 3000 is not going to hurt anything but your fuel bill. You can hit that speed if you want in a pannic situation but you shouldn't have to go to 3000 to to hold speed.

Seriously, 2500 is where these engines shine for towing heavy loads over long distances. Thats where my truck is in 3rd gear on the freeway and thats where its happiest.

Dirtleg

Are you holding the converter locked even when shifting between gears?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
More power=less fuel use. Motor doesn't have to work as hard. You can experiment if you want to see if it improves things, but like everyone else said, if the IP is worn out, it's just a band aid fix. But give it a go and see what happens.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diavid 85 I haven't done the torque converter lockup mod yet. My understanding is that you don't need to unlock it between gears. If I am wrong please let me know because I planned on doing exactly that.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
You only have 175 horsepower at best at the rated rpm. You might not be comfortable at 3000 rpm or more but I can assure you your engine will be. If you saw a horsepower X rpm chart for your engine you would be surprised how little horsepower it actually makes as you start down from 3000.

I had a 6.9 in a E-350 chassis 27' motorhone and it was dirt slow. I put a Hypermax turbo kit on it and a Gear vendors overdrive in it and it would fly over the hills. With the toad we were about 15,000 pounds.

Jim

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diavid 85 I haven't done the torque converter lockup mod yet. My understanding is that you don't need to unlock it between gears. If I am wrong please let me know because I planned on doing exactly that.

The truck might have a tendency to lurch back and fourth immediately after each shift. This will put extra strain on other parts of the drive train if it happens. Having the converter unlocked acts like a shock absorber to prevent this during the shift event.
Thanks to some shoddy wiring/tuning I did with mine when it was first setup, I observed this lurching effect first hand because the PCM was not unlocking the TC during shifting. Its feels a lot like a sloppy shift with a manual transmission. The firmness of your shift also affects how bad this could be (if at all). Mine wasn't shifting well when it first went on the road, so it might not be a problem for you.

Trying it once or twice probably won't hurt much though if you just want to see how it works. I see no reason for it to instantly grenade anything unless there are other underlying problems.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You can get a reman pump from International for $399. I priced one a month or two ago at my local dealership for ***** and giggles. I've hauled 9000lbs with my F250, N/A with 3.55's with a ZF....Lazy off the line - yes - but once it's rolling and you keep the rev's up on the hills it works just fine. 432,000km on it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had 3.55's, JD has them now, but I hated them, of course most of my driving was pulling something. I have a 4 spd and you can say this setup has enough power with 3.55's all day long, I won't believe ya! I tried to pull a hill with a load of firewood in the truck and a small trailer behind, it ran out of power in first gear! I dropped into 4 lo and made it up the hill, but that was the deciding factor between 4.10's and 3.55's...I'm gearing up for 3.73's now, I think that would be the perfect combo, and with the overdrive I'll be installing before long, I'm guessing things will work out well. I talked to several at the rally in Kentucky and they all said they thought 3.73's would be the way to go...we'll soon find out. My truck runs out to 70 MPH, but you can pretty much watch the fuel gauge go down as the speedo goes up! lol