Call me crazy if you want

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
Ive seen a couple threads about superchargers in light duty diesel truck applications. I know root style superchargers actually were concieved for diesel engines of course im refering to the old detroit 8v71s etc. though they were two strokes and totally different animals than our idi's. but I digress.

I know the pros and cons of all three types of forced induction systems, however iv always been partial to the big polished root style blowers, to me nothin looks better than that big monstrosity gleeming on top of the motor and sticking out of the hood, it just adds a whole different mean and nasty attitude to a vehicle. And the sound, I love the screaming whine of a blower as opposed to the *****-like whistle of a turboLOL

Anyway, to the point of my thread, Iv always had an idea for a project that I fully intend on persuing when i Graduate and get better established with the facilities and equipment needed to attempt such an endeavor. It will be one of a kind, as you can tell from my dually diesel bronco, I like doin stuff that hasnt been done before.

That idea is for creating a forced induction system for my old idi that consists of not one but TWO Root style blowers!!!!! Much like this setup:
You must be registered for see images attach

Call me crazy if ya want!! And i'll agree with ya all day, I am a crazy ****** F****r!

I have no doubt it can be done, and like i said i fully intend on doin it. What do yall think?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I used to have a picture out of a Petersens 4wheel magazine of a 86 Ford 6.9 with a Weiand 6-71 blower on it... There were no details listed though :(

I think it would be really cool ;Really

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Cool idea for sure. But... Whats the point? These motors have bigger issues than air flow. It seems to me that we are all waiting for each other to build a high power IDI. But nobody is doing it.
Where are the custom low comp pistons? And the awesome cams? I am thinking its just not going to happen because there is very little market for the stuff. No financial return on expensive R&D.

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
little bit on the shiney side, don't ya think?

I like a good shine on my stuff when i can get it, that dont mean i wont git r dirty tho :sly

As far as the prochargers go, any monkey with a wrench that can bolt on an alternator, can slap one of those on, I wanna do something ground breaking.

And, I'm not very surprised that there isnt a bigger performance selection for these idi's they were introduced at a bad time for the performance market, they missed the high of the 60s n 70s and the comeback in the late 90s and 2ks, and by then the pwrstroke took the spotlight and the idi got thrown by the wayside. But all it takes is a few innovative companies to expand the market and a few young crazy sumbitches like me to find a way to build these things nasty and show thier potential and the ball will get rolling. And there are plenty of companies that can custom grind cams and stroker cranks if someone came forward and showed interest, I know cause we just got done buildin the largest stock block stroker 440 mopar in the world (609cid), thanks to a company that got bored one day and said what the hell, lets make a retartedly big stroker kit and see if it'll blow up or make a 900hp (conservative) streetable naturally asperated MONSTER. And guess what that 68 roadrunner can run around town all day and do 8s on the weekend!

Last edited:

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool idea. Let us know how it goes.

Haha your gonna have to wait a while cause im still broke and in school tryin to get my Mech. Engineering degree. So we'll have to wait on that or me hittin the lottery, which ever comes first. haha

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I'm pretty handy at puttin' stuff together. Since two is what you want, how about getting two S/C off a lightning pickup motors. Then the trick of getting them secured to the top of the motor. IMHO the roots style blowers would be a close second place to a turbo, and a Procharger style...... A lengthy trailing. They only make max boost for just a few hundred RPM's at the top of the tach.:puke: Then it's time to shift.:backoff A S/C would make some bottom end grunt fo sho. Let us know how it goes.;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get lots and lots of "ideas" here, but unfortunately, few actually follow through with them. I'd love to see you try this, dyno it and see what happens. Good luck.

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Me... I'd be happy with a rusty 'ole banks first-gen turbo, but then again I don't usually dream big. :D

I say do it man! I like chrome too, and besides you already have a reputation here for doin' some crazy stuff (love the dually bronco, BTW)

I agree with Heath, a little less talk and alot more action, that's what we need! Make it work and take it to an IDI get-together and im sure we will all be impressed! ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know everyone doubted me when I was throwing out all the ideas I had with my brown truck build. It took me a couple years but I finally got r done. I still think there are people here that doubt the results I've seen with my setup and I plan on strapping my truck to the dyno this spring to prove it.
I do agree someone needs to start making low compression pistons and stuff for these motors and designing some better flowing cams and some other goodies before we'll be able to see IDI power readily available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin