CA unladen weight fee

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing I own will register for $80 on any portion or completely in commiefornia!
Heck my harley is over a bill??? Must be my cdl !

My 1982 300SD registers for something like $82. The registration is based on whatever California makes up for the value, and what you paid for it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And...I used to be upset about the weight fee, but considering that the fees are at least supposed to go towards road maintenance, and given that a 7K lbs truck's putting more wear on the road than a 3500 lb passenger car (let alone an 80K lbs rig), I've gotten more understanding of it over the years.

that is total and utter ********.
long ago sacramento has diverted the reg funds for road building and repair into general fund obligations and public transit feelgood projects. our roads wouldn't be in such poor shape if the money was used properly. instead, the roads are allowed to fall apart to the point, so they can use the excuse to tax us extra with a "bond measure" so they can fix our roads.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you're actually going to concern yourself with road damage, then you really should be measuring tire contact area, and people with wider tires with closer tread patterns should be paying less because they're applying less pressure per square inch to the road. It's OTR trucking that does virtually all the damage, light vehicles do almost none unless something breaks and they gouge it.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to weigh mine as it was purchased in Nevada. I came in at 5640#. A pickup with camper shell can be registered non commercial but you had better not be caught hauling anything or without the shell. Same with a van I believe.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is total and utter ********.
long ago sacramento has diverted the reg funds for road building and repair into general fund obligations and public transit feelgood projects. our roads wouldn't be in such poor shape if the money was used properly. instead, the roads are allowed to fall apart to the point, so they can use the excuse to tax us extra with a "bond measure" so they can fix our roads.
I was about to say someone must not be listening to AM radio. There's a big campaign going on right now to try and get the road fees out of the general fund and back "where they belong." Apparently the wrong pockets are being lined right now.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1982 300SD registers for something like $82. The registration is based on whatever California makes up for the value, and what you paid for it.

No valve stated and the pile of parts were registered at $100
They ding my 75 year old willy at over $90
Orinal cost 50 bucks
Chiseling schisters

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in PA its like this. Trucks get truck plates except window vans they are classed as station wagon same as cars, even if its a e350. Now as far as truck weight goes its like this. You can register any weight you want so long as you are not over registered weight either empty or laden. Another catch is axle weight, you cannot be over weight on a axle or axles as stated on the door sticker. Lastly they can get you on tire over loaded weight as well. There are bridge weight regulation (not to be confused with posted weight limits)but that is more involved for this blog. (weight over a given axle or axles spread)

Here is Pa I fought and won in court over a bridge weight violation--Bridge was posted 10 ton limit--Bridge was a short length, say 40ft--I was driving a tractor with 1 drive axle and a 48ft trailer. I won by arguing at no time did I have my entire truck (empty 29,000 gvwr) on the bridge. and showed documented proof of my axle weights). They will also try to get you with the claim if you are registered for 80,000 and assume you are that heavy--but the sign only says weight limit not registered weight limit. If they didn't weigh you, where is the proof?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just registered my 79 C30 pickup. It was bought here in cali. Never been registered anywhere else. I paid $169.00 for the year. $80.00 of that was the weight fee. Several years back I was one year away from never having to smog it. Then the law changed and screwed me. That was not as bad as having to smog it because for most of my owning this pickup truck I did not have to smog it. Then that rule change too. The was the first ****** really. My truck came factory equipped with no EGR valve in the intake manifold. It has the crappy smog pump and factory dual exhaust. Its a 1 ton camper special Bonanza . Much more rare rig than the silverados everywhere. Clai will charge you anyway they can. Our citations take a jump every year to generate more revenues. A criminal has a tuff time arguing in court too. You got a ticket for breaking the law. Its that simple here.

oztinker47

Reaction score
I did find it odd that my '85 f-250 4x4 cost $169 per year while the '95 GMC K1500 4x4 gasser cost $165 per year, there's close to a ton in weight difference between the two.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.

Most interesting thing I've seen is that my 85 2wd had an official weight that was about 200# **more** than my 4x4 which was identical in every way except being 4wd.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I was about to say someone must not be listening to AM radio. There's a big campaign going on right now to try and get the road fees out of the general fund and back "where they belong." Apparently the wrong pockets are being lined right now.

For the people not keeping score as close as we California drivers, not only did there used to be a line item for road maintenance and repairs, it was getting so bad that the voters said OK to another gas tax specifically for use fixing roads about 15-17 years ago, building a fund for 5 years before we started using it. Loads of cash ensued, but just before the account opened up to fix the highways, the ENRON/power shortage/scandal/emergency happened. So our dutiful governor Davis had the fund sent over to the general fund to be wasted on emergency energy purchases (part of why he was recalled and Arnold was put in his place). Now the money is all gone, we continue to pay the tax and no road repairs are in the offing unless we vote for yet another tax for roads.

Yep, the golden state is the place to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online