c6 to E4OD questions

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i could not find in the search what i need to know. I have a c6 in my truck right now and i cant stand it, i am pretty sure it has a shift kit as it has hard firm shifts (which i hate) and not having overdrive is killing me, at 40 mph it keeps shifting back and fourth between 2nd and 3rd, and in Southeastern MI people cant drive for s@#% so it happens way to much. I have a manual transmission to go in the truck but i still need more parts to gather and its taking time, so i was wondering about putting an E4OD in for now, i know i need the module and the harness but what about the drveshafts? are the c6 and E4OD the same length? it is a 4WD so will the linkage be the same or not?

i appreciate your reply's thanks

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a c6 in my truck and added Gear vendors to it. I would much rather have the dependability of a c6, ever notice all the threads with issues on the E40D? Both of my trucks are solid firm shifters and it does get annoying but hard shifting is much better for the trans, than soft shifts.
My 86 has the kickdown rod removed and doesnt shift back and forth in traffic like you describe. If you are moving at a decent pace, the diesel has enough torque to get moving without having to kickdown constantly.
You can also make sure your vrv isnt set too high but you dont want it set so low that your trans shifts too soon and mushy.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i know the harder shifts are better, less slipping and i dont have the kick down rod on the transmission, the vrv was to factory when i replaced it, i do know about the issues with it but its not permanent, just until i get everything for my manaul transmission, im not doing a zf swap i am putting in a eaton 6 speed, but i need a bellhousing and its not easy to find at a good price, and plus then i have to have driveshafts made and so on, just want the E4OD for now for the better mileage and to lose the annoying hard shift

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does this bellhousing and driveshaft work cost? It has to be cheaper than installing a E4OD. That's not going to be cheap.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah swapping in an e40d trans isn't anything worth doing if it's temporary.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a c6 with out a kick down and it burnt up ( but that was with about 10 passes at a dragstrip and a couple truck pulls from a junkyard small block one) and the guy that has rebuilt 3 of them for me said to never run one without a kick down rod. Not saying it was in prestige condition but the man has been rebuilding ford transmissions for 20+ years

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the bellhousing was available at the pick and pull junk yard by my house, they had a bunch of them, then they scrapped all the trucks that had them, i need a sae2 bellhousing, the other heavy truck yards all want $300.00 for the bellhousing, about the driveshaft i used to have a dodge dakota and i needed a rear driveshaft made for it, just for the factory style driveshaft cost me over $300.00, and for the transmission i am wanting to use, i need to have a divorced transfer case so i need atleast 3 driveshafts made for the truck, i live in michigan so i have to have 4wd, also have to fabricate mounts for the transmission and so on, its going to be a project deffinetly, i can get an E40d for cheap, about $150.00 and i can rebuild it myself, even if i need the driveshafts i can probably get those cheap to, already checked the price for the harness for the E40d it would only cost me $20.00 for that

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thanks for all the replies and information, not going to do this now, got a good deal on a powerstroke so i am going to be **** a powerstroke swap and i am just going to use a zf 5 speed instead of dealing with the eaton 6 speed,