C6 to E40D swap...

simonapowell

Reaction score
I'm sure the info is here somewhere, but I've used the search functions several different ways, and can't find it.

Are there any posts/articles on swapping from a C6 tranny to an E40D????

I've got an '88 F250, 7.3 IDI non-turbo. I do a lot of highway driving, and found a professionally rebuilt E40D on Craigslist for $300. I need to know what other electronics/parts I need to get from the seller, and how to swap them.

Again, sorry for posting this if the info is already here somewhere - I really spent a lot of time looking before posting.

Thanks,
Simon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a swap that's done too often. usually it's the reverse.
Your biggest hurdle is to find a wiring harness. you generally have to remove the cab in order to get one out intact. Good part is the harness is for the most part a stand-alone item with only a few inputs from the chassis harness. The next hurdle is finding the appropriate flexplate. The older convertor uses the flywheel/flexplate combo like the C-6. The newer(better) convertor uses the 1.5year only adapter and flexplate for the factory turbo IDI and the adapter is obsolete. I did get an extra sample adapter from gary/icanfixall and I have it over at a machine shop being scanned in for replication by a CNC mill. It's not a priority project right now but if it does become priority, I know the shop is really going to stick it to me costwise.
Honestly, if you don't have a E4DOA already in your truck, you have alot of work if you want to put one in and on top of that, you have a trans with a track record of questionable reliability. You also are going to get what you pay for. There's got to be something missing in a $300 rebuild compared to a $2800 rebuild out of Brian's Truck Shop. You know what you are going to use your truck for. Is what you are doing worth the gamble or not? I would be looking in the wrecking yards or CL or fleabay for a GV or USG OD before thinking of going through the grief of putting in a E4DOA.
just my .02....

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good success with my original E4OD, however I would not install one into an none E4OD truck because of the problems Towcat mentioned.

Have you looked at an overdrive unit for the C6? It would be the simplest and probably not that much more in the end.

simonapowell

Reaction score
Clarification...

Clarification... The rebuild wasn't $300 - that's what he's asking for the trans. He bought the motor and trans out of a shuttle bus - he only needed the motor. He sent pics of the trans and converter (I'll try to post). The converter and the front pump look BRAND NEW. Can't imagine anyone would put a new front pump in without going through a complete rebuild...???

Regarding how much trouble the swap is, what kind of MPG increase will I get with the AOD and lockup converter?

Attachments

• Converter.jpg
    Converter.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
  • E40D.jpg
    E40D.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get the wiring harness and computer for it?

regarding the mileage, what are you getting now and what gear ratio do you have?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarification... The rebuild wasn't $300 - that's what he's asking for the trans. He bought the motor and trans out of a shuttle bus - he only needed the motor. He sent pics of the trans and converter (I'll try to post). The converter and the front pump look BRAND NEW. Can't imagine anyone would put a new front pump in without going through a complete rebuild...???

Regarding how much trouble the swap is, what kind of MPG increase will I get with the AOD and lockup converter?
the mpg increase iirc is not much. what are you currently getting?
Problem with the E4DOA is you can burn up one of these trans by going around the block if the solenoids are malfunctioning. a clean front pump is a clear indication that yes someone was there recently and it was to band-aid it together. he's got it priced at core value....high core value that is. I wouldn't buy a used E4DOA for one, but if I did I would want to drive the vehicle first or pay no more than $200 for a rebuildable core and that would be subject to teardown inspection before putting out the $$$.

simonapowell

Reaction score
OK - thanks for the info all...

I'm going to skip the trans all together then. I've got other things I need to replace first anyway. I'll probably rebuild the C6 at some point, and take the advice to keep my eye out for a GV overdrive unit.

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!

Simon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a third party like Bauman or something that makes a stand alone computer for the E4OD that would simplify the wiring problem?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Don't have time to scrounge, but if you want to go to Ford truck enthusiast and look up a guy username david85, he did this exact swap and has a good write-up.

If I get time later, I'll go through his posts and post a link.