C6 Problems

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My first truck had 280k when I sold it and still had the original trans. That isn't supposed to happen because of the diesel power pulses banging away, but the C6 is a tough bird.

That being said, you may be in for a rebuild. Sounds like one of the clutches has burned or lost its friction medium.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/69-500-hp-rebuild-kit.html
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/79-high-strength-reverse-hub.html
http://www.badshoeproductions.com/c6.html

not needed, but sure is nice to have:
external cooler: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274
remote spin on filter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80277/overview/

that is under $500 for the rebuild kit, longer splined reverse hub, and a how to video, where Ken Collins takes you step by step through rebuilding a c6. He even has instructions on how to make compressors and tools needed. Only other tools are snap ring pliers and some good strong flathead screwdrivers. Ohh and 4-5 cans of cleaner.
My opinion is this will build an unbeatable c6 where you can tailor shift characteristics and you'll learn enough about the transmission that diagnosing the problems will be easier in the future as you'll understand how it works. totally doable for someone that has never worked on these things.

It is advisable to blow out the old radiator/trans cooler and also replace/overhaul the existing convertor, but I'll leave that up to you.

Later
Drew

This would be the route to go.

Alto frictions Koline steels are very good. One thing when setting stack clearances with Alto frictions. Do not use the Ford spec. Use the Alto specs provided with the parts. Alto requires a tight stack clearance for longevity.

Don't forget the bushings, thrust washers and bearings. They should be replaced too.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Did this kit come with a intermidate band?

I am pretty sure it did, but I forget because I just went ahead and bought a kevlar band, was like $30. Was a year ago. I do remember it came with the bushings, but not the thrust washers.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
This would be the route to go.
Alto frictions Koline steels are very good. One thing when setting stack clearances with Alto frictions. Do not use the Ford spec. Use the Alto specs provided with the parts. Alto requires a tight stack clearance for longevity.
Don't forget the bushings, thrust washers and bearings. They should be replaced too.

Trackspeeder, this kit comes with all parts needed. For a beginner it is essential. If you already know how to rebuild a c6, you could probably save $50 getting just the parts you need. Tho the booklet that comes with the kit has a lot of good tips and modifications. Plus having the #9 replaced with a torrington bearing is a nice feature. My old 390 is averaging 14 mpg after the trans build (1-2 better then before).
This isn't the cheapest way, but it is the most fun and no doubt builds the toughest transmission. and you really do not need any experience if you can follow instructions.

Only thing I think I would add to that kit is some selective snap rings, I got lucky and could swap around the ones I had to get the desired amount (5,4,5)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as close as you are to towcat I would have his trans guy do it. the oreillys kit is crap.
i can get you very good parts but it needs to come down first. Wish shipping was cheaper I LOVE building tough C6's.:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as close as you are to towcat I would have his trans guy do it. the oreillys kit is crap.
i can get you very good parts but it needs to come down first. Wish shipping was cheaper I LOVE building tough C6's.:D
discussion and agreement already made.
time to start gutting cores for high element drums. :D
torque convertor supplier already giving me a perplexed look over a low stall convertor with furnace brazed fins.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin shoot me a price on that exact convertor, fully brazed not just every third like they usually do. And what are doint up so early.LOL

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering why hes up early too.. Or did he not go to bed yet....:eek::sly
Gary it s my fault I called calvin about 9am this morning asking him if I should get a E4OD instead of a C6 and I guess I must have woke him up, sorry Calvin. I wont call so early next time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin shoot me a price on that exact convertor, fully brazed not just every third like they usually do. And what are doint up so early.LOL
i can even get a pic for you before they weld it shut in front of me if it makes you feel better.
i finally finished my day at 8am.
i must have been absolutely incoherent when Stu called.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The convertor builders here used to do every third vane, they do now offer a fully brazed one.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Trackspeeder, this kit comes with all parts needed. For a beginner it is essential. If you already know how to rebuild a c6, you could probably save $50 getting just the parts you need. Tho the booklet that comes with the kit has a lot of good tips and modifications. Plus having the #9 replaced with a torrington bearing is a nice feature. My old 390 is averaging 14 mpg after the trans build (1-2 better then before).
This isn't the cheapest way, but it is the most fun and no doubt builds the toughest transmission. and you really do not need any experience if you can follow instructions.

Only thing I think I would add to that kit is some selective snap rings, I got lucky and could swap around the ones I had to get the desired amount (5,4,5)

I should have looked at the link a little deeper.:D

It's a good deal. :thumbsup:

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I got my custom TOWCAT and Partners built C6 tranny today, I get to install it in this fine weather tomorrow hopefully I will get it done and running before I melt.