Bypass Filtration: Things to Consider

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I have put together this article for your information and research purposes. Only you can decide if you want bypass filtration and how to use it in your truck.

Here are a few things to consider when making that decision. I have used Amsoil and FS2500 to make my comparison as the FS 2500 is a popular competitor in the bypass filtration market. You can put in your desired bypass unit/units and prices to help with your compairson and research for your brand engine. I hope it can supply some information for those looking into using bypass oil filtration. I used a Dmax engine for this article since that is what I have.

It isn't the gospel and might not match everybodies view but I tried to keep it in a general sense for research and informational purposes as I have found information and received feedback from customers and oil guru's alike. I wrote a little more about the Amsoil dual bypass only because I know a little more about it than I do the FS2500, not to try and be biased.

Bypass Considerations

Here are a few things to consider when doing your research on Bypass oil filtration:

The FS2500 system for the Dmax is 449.00 for rubber hose and the stainless lines is 519.00. It’s a single filter mount that uses both the OEM filter and the FS 2500 giving you two filters for oil filtration. It uses a proprietary replacement filter not available anywhere but from their dealers or them. The replacement filter is 26.95 recommended to be changed every 10k.

The Amsoil Dual Bypass BMK27 for the Dmax retails for 360.00 and is under 280.00 if you’re an Amsoil preferred customer. It is a dual filter mount replacing the OEM filter with an adaptor that feeds the used oil from the sump to the dual head unit and feed the filtered oil back to the filter plate to be pumped directly into the engine for use. It is designed so that other filters can be used with it in case of emergency such as you were 4 wheeling and damaged one of the filters. You could go to an auto parts store and get a filter to match up to continue your trip.

The replacment filters retail for 23.20 for the full flow and 40.25 for the larger bypass filter. Those prices are approx 25% less on the preferred customer program. Amsoil says to change the bypass every other full flow change up to 60k miles when used in conjunction with their synthetic oils.

With either system or another brand bypass you need to decide when to change your filters and oil. I always recommend that you use Used Oil Analysis (UOA) as your guide beyond 15k miles.

If you want to rely on oil analysis to tell you what is going to be your oil change interval (OCI) it will cost you a little money the first time to set your OCI but after that you only do UOA to monitor your oil and engine.

I recommend you do this the first time after installation of the unit you decide on. New oil and bypass unit installed and UOA at 1000 to 1500 miles; this will establish your base line.
Then at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k, 27k, 30k. Change the full flow filter after taking your sample at 15k. Now is when you decide if 30k is your number or do you want to go longer or shorter. If you want to go longer OCI then continue with UOA every 5k miles until it says time to changer the oil. Then back your OCI down 5k-7500 miles to give you a good cushion and make that point your oil change interval. Then make a plan to change your filters in between for maximum protection and efficiency. If you changed your oil at 5k with dino now you will change 1 filter at double that mileage for far less than half the price of the oil change.

After you have set your OCI you should do UOA at the same time you do a full flow filter change or every 10k-15k. Rule of thumb is to change the full flow filter at the half way point of your total OCI and both filters at the oil change. If you extend out to 40k, 50k or more I would recommend changing both filters at the half way point and full flows at half that. For instance: I know people that go 50k and change the full flow at 12.5k and 37.5k and both filters at 25k and the 50k at the oil change. They do UOA at each filter change to monitor both oil and engine conditions.

Each bypass MFG will have different suggestions and and thoughts on your warranty but most all will tell you that it will not void the MFG warranty if you use and save each UOA test result and stay within the specs that were used to decide their recommended OCI. Do your research and decide what is right for you.