Buying a new truck.

rocketron

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at some trucks and would like some pros and cons of each. I am posting in the Dodge forum too to try to get some opinions. I've got it narrowed down to a 2002 Ram 2500 diesel 6 4x4 speed and a 2001 F-350 powerstroke 6 speed 4x4. Both about the same mileage (150,000 km/90,000 miles) and price and similarly equiped. So shoot me some pro's and cons of each and what to look for. Thanks for any advice!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are both good trucks. I see you already are driving a Ford at this point so you know the positives of the Ford, body and chassis are fairly stout. You wont have that in the Dodge. You also arent comparing apples to apples in this case, the Ford is a one ton and the Dodge is a 3/4 ton. I dont know if your towing requirements dictate a 1 ton or not? The Dodge will be a little easier to mod to get those first extra ponies out of it as well. The Dodge is also a year newer. It would be a very hard decision and the only way I could make it would be with a test drive and I would have to choose which one felt the best under my butt.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

sponge

Reaction score
My son has a 2002 f-350 powerstroke 4x4 150000 miles., and i have a 2001 cummins 6 speed with a conventional rearend. 70000 miles.... Both are great running vehicles,

i've had problems with my sons powerstroke with
1. Position camshaft sensor
2. wiring harness for the injectors and glow plugs came loose inside the valve cover..<had a horrible time finding that problem..lol>
3. Vss sensor that sits on top of the diff was bad...
Which the above is common in powerstrokes.

My2001 Cummins
1. nothing,.. but i have heard lift pumps do go out. and i only have 70k on it.
As far as working on a truck,? the Cummins is the easiest . And in all fairness, both trucks i really like alot.... there DIESELS!. lol

rocketron

Reaction score
I got the F-350. Like it alot so far. Bit of an issue with the 4whdr. but will be fixed next week.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Ford purchase, I think you'll be happy with it.