Burning plastic smell

acleary555

Reaction score
Ive been hearing a slight squeek for about a week, thinking a belt pulley bearing somewhere might be going bad. This morning as i was driving (with my defrost on) i started smelling a strong burning plastic smell. When i pulled over and popped the hood i smelled it real strong but cant SEE anything. I spit on the a/c compressor and it was sizzling hot. Started truck back up with defrost off so the compressor wouldnt try and run dont see any pullys stuck, belt is spinning, still smells. Any ideas?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have a good look at the plug on the A/C compressor. If it was that hot (failing of course), the plastic plug likely was melting along with the insulation on the wires.

Unplug that sucker until you can get another compressor.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The center of the ac compresser pulley will turn by hand freely. The belt side of the pulley is always spinning. So try to hand turn the inner part of the compresser with the engine off of course. If it tight or sticks. Stop useing it now or its going to send crap thru the sysyem. It would be a very good idea if it has to be replaced that you remove and replace the orface tube. That has a screen in it that will catch some of the trash that might be going thru the system. If its clean your fine but if it got plenty of particles in it you have biggier issues. But lets not go that far just yet.

acleary555

Reaction score
The compressor is getting very hot even after being turned off and unplugged. I am guessing the bearings in the a/c pulley are bad. so im shopping for a whole new stinkin compressor i guess.