Burnin WMO in my idi

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the Fuge for all your filtering (except significant water seperation)

The fuge is a one time big expense and then no on going expense. Filters are expensive when you start factoring how often you have to replace them if you make any decent amount of fuel.

I have 2 water seperator filters on my current setup. However I don't bother using them. I fuge until I'm happy with the fuel quality. If I noticed any water in my fuel I'd use the seperators, but I haven't had that issue yet
do you have an open ***** or pressure driven fuge? how many passes to clear the stuff up? do you use a rough screen to get some of the stuff out before sending to the fuge? Do you heat?

wmoguy

Reaction score
do you have an open ***** or pressure driven fuge? how many passes to clear the stuff up? do you use a rough screen to get some of the stuff out before sending to the fuge? Do you heat?

I have a pressure driven fuge (108 gph) from PaBioDieselsupply

I make a min of 6 passes, and generally make 8 passes unless I'm in a hurry to fill the tank.

I don't use a screen at all, oil gets sucked up at my collection site w/ my super sucker, gets shot into my centrifuge barrel, no pre-filtering.

I don't heat, I mix my thinner (I use Kero or RUG, whichever I feel like buying) then fuge it. I did recently slap a Kats 500w heating pad on my barrell that I had laying around and thought I'd try heating again, BUT I don't think the 500w is enough to get the oil to temp. In other words it was a waste, you need a good 1000w+ to heat a 55 gallon barrel. Thats a lot of used energy

Cold filtering seems to work pretty well for me.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds like a good setup. I'd try and drain off the sludge after mixing in your thinner. Just let it set a day or so, then drain off the bottom a bit, and you should get the majority of big stuff.

so 8 passes, that seems reasonable. Do you ever check it after 3-4 to see what is coming out. I wonder how much you are actually catching on the last 2-3 passes.

Simple and easy! are you mixing 15% thinner?

wmoguy

Reaction score
that sounds like a good setup. I'd try and drain off the sludge after mixing in your thinner. Just let it set a day or so, then drain off the bottom a bit, and you should get the majority of big stuff.

so 8 passes, that seems reasonable. Do you ever check it after 3-4 to see what is coming out. I wonder how much you are actually catching on the last 2-3 passes.

Simple and easy! are you mixing 15% thinner?

I've cleaned the bottom of my barrel once in a couple thousand gallons of fuel making. The sludge is minimal at best.

Yes I mix 15-20% thinner in winter and 10-12% in summer. I'm no longer scientific with the process. It's more like a seasoned chef adding ingredients. I.e "eh 5 gallons of RUG should be about right"

I have checked the rotor after each pass and cleaned it. Usually by pass #6 there's really nothing to clean anymore. Now a days I usually make my mix. Turn it on and come back 3-4 hours later to put the fuel in my tank. Set it and forget it.

wmoguy

Reaction score
that sounds like exactly what I want. a set and forget sort of setup.

any photos?

this is an older video. Updates I've made since include:

bigger centrifuge
Better pump. DO NOT USE that turbowerx pump shown here, it will not hold up, nor will the company warranty it as they claim...(whole nother story there..)
the whole thing is on a moveable stand w/ heavy duty casters.

http://youtu.be/PtjN9wDsbi0

this should give you a flavor of the setup. It will be a week or two until I could get you an updated video. I've got it partially torn down for our upcoming move.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are those turbowerx pumps what come with the PAbiodiesel stuff?

what size pump do you run with your 108gph centrifuge? 1/2 hp?

wmoguy

Reaction score
are those turbowerx pumps what come with the PAbiodiesel stuff?

what size pump do you run with your 108gph centrifuge? 1/2 hp?

No PABio is not hooked up with Turbowerx. I tried to hook those two companies up to work something out for a "kit" but after my pump motor crapped out after maybe 10 hours of use, and Turbowerx decided to not warranty it, I told Joe @ PABio to run, not walk away.

Anyway, the 108gph fuge does require a little more pump and motor. This one served me very well http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/e-1-2-hp-motor-carbonator-mount-pump/ until I "upgraded" to a monstrosity of an oberdorfer pump (pretty sure my new pump could power 4-5 108gph fuges :sly )

The carbonator pump is really a solid unit. Mine (i've had 2 of them, different sizes, etc..) never gave me a lick of trouble and tough as nails. They are a touch noisy until the pump itself gets a little warm. The oberdorfer is more like the "Cadillac" whereas the Carbonator could be considered the "Ford", if you will

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sorry for the side track but how is the turbowerx holding up in your truck? its to bad it seemed like a nice solution to pumping thicker fluid, i have played with the idea of getting an inverter and using a 110v powered pump in my truck to feed the engine as these little 12v pumps dont seem to hold up.

btw i use an old honda power steering pump with a 1/2 hp motor i had lying around, feeds my 55gph fuge well so far.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, you've convinced me to get a Fuge. I'll probably start with something a little smaller, just because I only need to process 30-50 gallons a month. I'd like to set it up so that I have 100 gallons of processed fuel on hand at any time.

So now, I am going to start looking at Super Sucker parts!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use a screen at all, oil gets sucked up at my collection site w/ my super sucker, gets shot into my centrifuge barrel, no pre-filtering.

No worries about debris getting sucked into your oil pressure pump and mucking it up?

wmoguy

Reaction score
sorry for the side track but how is the turbowerx holding up in your truck? its to bad it seemed like a nice solution to pumping thicker fluid, i have played with the idea of getting an inverter and using a 110v powered pump in my truck to feed the engine as these little 12v pumps dont seem to hold up.

btw i use an old honda power steering pump with a 1/2 hp motor i had lying around, feeds my 55gph fuge well so far.

The turbowerx pumps in my pickup for a fuel pump, and the other one for the scavenge pump are working great. The 120v one which I tried on my centrifuge was bunk. My guess is that they aren't capable of the pressure specs they claim they are capable of.

wmoguy

Reaction score
No worries about debris getting sucked into your oil pressure pump and mucking it up?

Happened once. Royal mess, as I had to take the lines off and pump air thru them. It was part of a paper towel. My solution was to put an air valve like from an air compressor on the line post pump. All I do now if I have a problem is pop an airline on the connection and push some air thru the lines. Done deal

yotatoy

Reaction score
WMO guy, Thanks so much for the video, that is almost exactly the system idea I had in my head, and I live in cold norther MI, so WMO sounds like a viable alternative I can run all winter long. I have been reading into WMO/black diesel/dirty fuel and I am excited to get rolling on my projects. Is there a reason you cut your WMO with Kerosene vs Regular Diesel?

Cheers!

wmoguy

Reaction score
WMO guy, Thanks so much for the video, that is almost exactly the system idea I had in my head, and I live in cold norther MI, so WMO sounds like a viable alternative I can run all winter long. I have been reading into WMO/black diesel/dirty fuel and I am excited to get rolling on my projects. Is there a reason you cut your WMO with Kerosene vs Regular Diesel?

Cheers!

Your welcome. I am happy to see more guys get into this. It's a huge money saver and the fuel is easy to come by. I must admit I get a big grin on my ugly mug when I make every batch knowing I'm nearly independent of bi oil and sticking my tongue out at OPEC.

I like kerosene over diesel because kerosene is a much drier fuel that thins better than diesel. Lately I've been using rug instead to thin. Mainly because it's a 10 mile drive out of my way to get kerosene. Fuel mileage is worse with rug, for me, but at .30 a gallon I don't worry to much about mileage.