Building NA 7.3 bottom for factory turbo truck

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I came up with that about 11 years ago for a guy who was a real *****. Nobody at work liked him because of his attitude. One cold night, I started my car to let it warm up before leaving work. The carb on it would sound like there was a lumpy cam in it for a couple of minutes and then smooth out. He came back inside after I did and asked me if I had a cam in there. So naturally I smarted off with "Of course, it's running isn't it"?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a question for Wes unless some one else knows, but how much difference is there in the turbo G injectors and a NA ones?
Pop pressure and nozzle design, the E code injectors in the 92.5-94 na trucks were set at 1900 psi and the G codes in the 93-94 turbo trucks were set at 2200 psi. The E codes have a sharper cone and the G codes spray a broader pattern. The G codes are my favorite injector from the factory, much better spray pattern than the bb codes, and much better quality nozzles as far as the consistency and machining.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop pressure and nozzle design, the E code injectors in the 92.5-94 na trucks were set at 1900 psi and the G codes in the 93-94 turbo trucks were set at 2200 psi. The E codes have a sharper cone and the G codes spray a broader pattern. The G codes are my favorite injector from the factory, much better spray pattern than the bb codes, and much better quality nozzles as far as the consistency and machining.
So have you ran Gs in a NA before .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I seem to recall that some people said that they couldn't tell a difference, some liked the G codes better and some preferred the BBs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Weren't the E code injectors supposed to be for better emissions too? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Beerthirty

Reaction score
Got a master kit from northern auto, mahl .020 pistons. Looks good to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Kind of pretty aren't they? The only way they look better is when they're in the block.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I've learned about IDIs is... More air + more fuel = more power. Also, for whatever power level you want, if you can add more air than needed, you'll get much better EGTs.

Also, boost doesn't blow head gaskets. It's *used* boost. So, 20 PSI on a stock 6.9 with stock fuel would probably be just fine(because none of that added air is actually assisting burning, so the cylinder pressures are much lower), but 10 PSI and fuel maxed would probably blow them in short order.

One other thing about head gaskets - Old gaskets are prone to leak. N/A or turbo, stress them and they'll fail. I'm thinking it's mostly just age really.

I've also taken a n/a 7.3 motor + factory turbo that had been rebuilt back in '01 or so, overheated it a bit, it started weeping coolant when hot from the head gaskets... Decided F*** it and installed my RD2-110 and just maxed the poor thing out(250 RWHP on the dyno, 320+ crank).
It lasted over a year before the gasket finally totally gave out. Motor was spotless inside when I took it apart.