Building a centrifuge?

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Ok, im not new to running WMO/k1 or diesel or rug. I have been doing it for about 5-6 years. Well its time to build another unit, I do this every couple years. I plan on building a heated holding tank, but instead of running 2 water filters like I have in the past, I want to try and build a centrifuge. Can anyone help me out on this?

My system right now, consists of a 55 gal drum, 2 water pumps, 2 water filter units, and some piping. I let my oil sit for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I never pump off the bottom of the barrel, and I always prefilter through a "very fine" 5 gal paint strainer. I can run about 300-500 gal before changing my filters. I run my fuel in a 91 IDI and a 97 Cummins. I run a 85%/15% during summer, and 60%/40% in winter.

I would like to get the oil cleaner, because now im getting oil from where ever I can.

Can anyone help me, or point me in the right direction? I dont have the money to buy a manufactured centrifuge, so I figure building one deff cant be too hard.

Thanks in advance
Chris

wmoguy

Reaction score
Check out PAbiodieselsupply.com

Several on this board use their equipment and pleased with the results.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Check out PAbiodieselsupply.com

Several on this board use their equipment and pleased with the results.

Im actually sitting here watching all of their videos. Do these things work as well as they say? Im just skeptical, dunno why, but am lol

I like to make 55-60 gals at a time. If it takes me 4 hrs, im fine with that.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Im actually sitting here watching all of their videos. Do these things work as well as they say? Im just skeptical, dunno why, but am lol

I like to make 55-60 gals at a time. If it takes me 4 hrs, im fine with that.

I'm very pleased with mine. I have twin 55gph fuges and their entire pump system/tank, etc.. On my 55gallon can I'm down to 4 hrs refining time start to finish for what I use as my finished product. (8 passes)

Knock on wood I've yet to clog a fuel filter using 80%wmo/20% thinner (I've used Diesel, small amts of gas, my fave is Kero)

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Ok, since you live in CO, obviously it gets cold out there. Do you run that mixture all year long? I normally run about a 40% WMO to 60% thinner in winter. In summer i will run whatever I can lol.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ok, since you live in CO, obviously it gets cold out there. Do you run that mixture all year long? I normally run about a 40% WMO to 60% thinner in winter. In summer i will run whatever I can lol.

I'm not dialed in on my blend for winter, yet. 80/20 w/ Kero is pretty good IMO. I'm leaning towards 70/30 w/ Kero as it nears the cold months. I have a stout inline fuel heater on my truck though so that helps.

I start on Diesel and shut down on diesel. I only run WMO blend in the rear tank and run it once the truck is good and warm. I've made the mistake of trying to start on 90/10 blend once, it wasn't a happy camper, but it started. :rotflmao

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
I used to run my mix in my regular fuel tanks, but I now have a 55gal "L" tank in my bed. I was thinking of running a coolant line back to it, to warm the oil. From everything I have watched, in the last 2 hours, I think the fuge is deff gunna be the way to go. With my main prefilter, I dont clog many filters, but I know theres always more to be done to clean the oil.
Do you run your fuges into 1 drum, or do u run one on a seprate drum? I was gunna buy just the 55gal one and see what I could turn out with that. Them maybe go bigger.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Ok, your sayin remote mount. How would I get the oil from the bottom of the fuge back into the drum? Would you be willing to send me some pics of your setup? I know some people are worried about doing that, but I could send u pics of my lil setup too lol

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto with what wmoguy said, I've got a 55gph CF, they work pretty good. I've not used mine as much because of cooler weather, gotta get my heating system setup on the setup.
For about $150 you could burn that up pretty quick getting your own setup, unless you own or work at a machine shop.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ok, your sayin remote mount. How would I get the oil from the bottom of the fuge back into the drum? Would you be willing to send me some pics of your setup? I know some people are worried about doing that, but I could send u pics of my lil setup too lol

Sorry been pretty tied up lately. Yep I'll take some pics this week for ya

wmoguy

Reaction score
Pic as promised. See how my top fuge is remote mounted? That's what iwas referring to. It's much quieter, that bottom fuge you gotta remember is spinning at 10k rpms and just resting on a thin metal lid. It's loud! The remote mount fuge you barely hear running. I need to remote mount the main fuge still.

Attachments

• 20111031_215810.jpg
    20111031_215810.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 76

jhunt253

Reaction score
enclosed are some photos of the system i use. the trailered tank is used for mixing [50 gal wmo, 50gals atf, and 40 thinner]. it is then pumped into a tank that feeds a 55gal drum that feeds the homemade centrifuge, flow is regulated by a variable speed dc motor driving a modified sb chev oil pump, the centrifuge[0 to 50 gal/hour] runs at 5000 rpm and generates 3200g's. since these pictures were taken a heater has been added between the pump and centrifuge and a sump pump has been added to pump the material back into a holding tank. works fine

thanks, hunt

Attachments

• SANY0511 (Small).JPG
    SANY0511 (Small).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 18
  • SANY0512 (Small).JPG
    SANY0512 (Small).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
  • SANY0513 (Small).JPG
    SANY0513 (Small).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 19
  • SANY0514 (Small).JPG