Budd Wheels ????????

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No help in the lounge. Maybe here.

Bought this trailer, and put an all new plank deck on it and strengthened the tongue. Thought I'd better look at the rims before getting new tires for it. Pulled the wheels from one side and found the rim bolt holes all wallered out and the bolts almost cut in half. The rims are 16" x 7" with 6 on 6.5" bolt circle, have no idea what the axle make is, it's 2' x 2' solid steel, must be 7000 lb or more. It does have electric brakes which are in decent shape yet, bearings are also good. Anyone know what I've got? Pretty sure it's Budd split rims just don't know for sure.

The wheel's.

1st Tire and rim
2nd Spindle. That's a solid steel 2" x 2" axle. Got to be at least 7000 lb.
3rd Hub
4th Backing plate rear side.
5th Brake armature in hub
6th Brake lining.
7th Outside of backing plate.
8th Hub front side showing lugs.
9th Brake magnet.
10th Dually wheels on trailer.

Attachments

• DVC01562.JPG
    DVC01562.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01563.JPG
    DVC01563.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DVC01565.JPG
    DVC01565.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01560.JPG
    DVC01560.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DVC01566.JPG
    DVC01566.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01568.JPG
    DVC01568.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01561.JPG
    DVC01561.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01564.JPG
    DVC01564.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01569.JPG
    DVC01569.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DVC01557.JPG
    DVC01557.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Those are old rims. The M37's had the 16 inch two peice rims like that. I know the M716 had 16 inch six lug rims but I am not sure if the spacing is the same. M37 rims are pretty common.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be lucky enough to find a 19.5 wheel that has that pattern.

If not, I would be tempted to weld 19.5 rims onto your centers and have a machine-shop repair the damage.

Any wheel that will fit, if it is for sale, is going to be old and rusty and very dangerous. :eek:

I doubt a drop-center tubeless 16-inch rim will clear that hub.

It is also possible that you could find normal hubs to fit those spindles.

Probably the best bet is to scrap the entire axles and replace with modern stuff.

I have built many a trailer axle from SRW and DRW Danas and GMs; thus, I also get the benefit of hydraulic brakes without the drastic cost.

Those are some wild looking electric brakes, if that is what they are.
:)

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Same bolt pattern as a 20" deuce wheels are the same thing pretty much. $20 a wheel

Reaction score
I am sorry , I told you wrong. The M37 had a five lug pattern. The six lug was on the M715. They did use a utility trailer with the same six lug pattern at the same time the M715 was being used. I have never held the two up close to each other to compare but I do not think the smaller rims ahve the same lug pattern as the deuce. I know the studs are different sizes.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since anyone has answered this thread. I think my only solution is to change the axle, or put tandem on it. The frame is good and I just put a whole new deck on it 2" X 8" and a 200 expensive screws @ .18 ea. Got $200 in making ramps for it. Thats what I get for buy it at dusk and couldn't really see what I was buying. Lesson learned.

Same bolt pattern as a 20" deuce wheels are the same thing pretty much. $20 a wheel

But where the heck do you get them? I've searched and can't find any. I would have to see them and measure before I buy.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Let me see how many I can find in my inventory of wheels. I have alot of 2 1/2 and 5 ton wheels. Just need to find the split ring style. I will let you know tomorrow. i will sell them for about $30-$40 each plus shipping. Or I will check my military guys to see if there is someone close to you with wheels.

Also check Idahomotorpool.com, easternsurplus.net or go to

http://militarytrucks.com/tireprices.html he has them for $30 each.

Reaction score
I had a 65 Ford cab and chassis with a dRW rear end. It had that same six lug pattern with 16 in split rings. Either way, those are old rims you have. The axle and hubs are strong and in my opinion worth using. However, dealing with split ring rims and that lug pattern can be more of a pain than they are worth.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
split rims are pretty easy. Tires are cheap especially if you go to the 20"s. 9.00 x 20 NDT or NDCC.

Oldbull, these are somewhat close to you and He would probably take 250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-MILITARY-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f10705e8a

or $75 a tire and wheel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-00-20-TUB...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45f4d28cb3

or you can always up the ante and go with a 2 piece HEMTT wheel from eastern surplus that is 6 lug pattern. 2 piece bolt rims and tubeless.

Reaction score
I really think the size of the lug pattern is different than our deuces. He has 16 inch rims from a much smaller vehicle. I was looking at a M715 sitting next to a deuce the other day and they looked different. The studs are with out a doubt larger on a deuce than his rims. That part alone will prevent the deuce rims from working.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whaaahooo. Found a guy on craigslist today with 7K axles for $200 8 lug electric brakes, springs and hangers, he also has the wheels and tires same as on an F350 of which I have 3 extra wheels and tires, said they will work with duallies. Some how this trailer Mfg. ****** up and put 7K axles on instead of 8K on 20,000 trailers, all them have to be changed, sounds like a Military deal, he said they have to go to Alaska and change 3000 of them. He said the 8K are only 20 thousands thicker than the 7K axles.

Thanks guys for the info.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonesome7.3

Jim an OB member "OnDaRoad" is broke down just off I-75 at exit 117, in Pinehurst. I was going down to get him last Saturday. I fell and hurt my neck and can't drive for awhile. He is still there at a Sunoco station. His lift pump went out and filled the crank case with fuel and he thinks the bearings are too bad to drive it. He has a F350 7.3. His cell number is 260 804 6695 if he don't answer he will call you right back. See the 911 forum. Needs help bad.

Reaction score
That is a good haul from me. If I can scrape up some gas money I will see what I can do. My wife just had surgery yesterday, so let me see how she is feeling and I will try and head up there before I have to be back at work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good haul from me. If I can scrape up some gas money I will see what I can do. My wife just had surgery yesterday, so let me see how she is feeling and I will try and head up there before I have to be back at work.

He is going to wait to see if he can get a reply to do this below. Thanks for the thought anyhow "lonesome 7.3". You have enough trouble with you wife having surgery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just talked to Jim. He is willing to pay $500 to have his cargo trailer towed to Indianapolis IN, he would ride with the hauler to there. He also would pay $500 to have his truck trailered to Franklin OH. The Cargo trailer would have to be towed 1st, he would leave the truck for later pickup. The truck weigh's 8800 lbs so a trailer would have to be big enough to haul a F350 dually. Anyone can call him Two six zero 804 Six Six 95.
Sorry Mod's but he is in deep po po.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whaaahooo. Found a guy on craigslist today with 7K axles for $200 8 lug electric brakes, springs and hangers, he also has the wheels and tires same as on an F350 of which I have 3 extra wheels and tires, said they will work with duallies. Some how this trailer Mfg. ****** up and put 7K axles on instead of 8K on 20,000 trailers, all them have to be changed, sounds like a Military deal, he said they have to go to Alaska and change 3000 of them. He said the 8K are only 20 thousands thicker than the 7K axles.

Thanks guys for the info.

I am not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen a DRW trailer axle less than a 10K; I could be wrong but I don't think so. :dunno

These 7K axles are most likely SRW axles.

If that be the case, DRW wheels are not gonna work on them.

Get at least two of them, and better yet three, and just make it a tandem or tri-axle with SRW wheels.
;Sweet