Brownie Box **** with Pics

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
When I was fishing for my ZF5, I got a nibble from this brownie box. Even though I found my ZF, I had to real this baby up. I have nothing right now to use it on, but with a wide ratio T-19 I could have 8 forward synchro gears with nice spreads..:sly

Drove 89 miles each way, but the price was worth it. (not telling this time)

The pic with the bell is an IDI bell I got the other day and stuck it on there as a sort of lingerie affect.:D

Enjoy

Attachments

• 0715111612.jpg
    0715111612.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 79
  • 0715111612a.jpg
    0715111612a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 85

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a Ranger III, the guy I bought it from called it a brownie box and I liked the title better that way:D

As far as the shifter, Ziggster has pictures online somewhere, I think it's the shifter from whichever 4 speed you use that's the bigger problem, and maybe the TC shifter would have to be extended all together.

Wouldn't be an easy install, but not to bad I don't think. I wonder if the clutch hydro line could be extended with a slip/compression whatever it's called fitting. I suppose a standard cab may have a problem with transfer case front fuel tank clearance. Other than that, it would be driveline(s), and a few wires to extend maybe. I suppose the speedo cable might have to be changed. Tranny Xmember would have to go back. Although, on a truck with a C6, or ZF, it only goes back 3 or 4 inches since the 4spd manuals are so short.

If I found say a Bronco with a nice wide ratio np435, I could bolt on my diesel bell and the ranger III, and I've got an 8 speed bronco diesel. Really it should be in a dually tow rig I guess, but it would be nice to have the extra gears going up and down the steep hills around here in the woods and such.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be missing something here; but, in my way of seeing things, there would be no need to mess with the clutch slave; it bolts to the bell-housing, don't it ?? :dunno

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny Xmember would have to go back. Although, on a truck with a C6, or ZF, it only goes back 3 or 4 inches since the 4spd manuals are so short.

Regardless of which set-up one has, be it 4X4, 4-speed, 5-speed, or auto, EVERYTHING goes aft the total length of that unit, which must be seven inches.

The transmission cross-member will HAVE to go aft SEVEN INCHES.

The front shaft gets lengthened seven inches; the rear gets shortened likewise.

Actually, those are a real easy install; as, regardless of whether the truck is 4X2 or 4X4, that unit just sandwiches between the bell-housing and transmission, with the transfer-case remaining as-is.

Most speedometer cables have enough slack to not need alterations.

As for the shifters, it is a simple matter to just cut longer holes through the floor and let the shifters simply go back, and maybe have to ditch the console; a bench-seat would need be switched out for captain's chairs or air-rides.

Go ahead and put it in that diesel. ;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^^

I made new linkage for my TC shifter out of a piece of 1" x 1/8" flatbar with just 2 holes in it (the same piece you would have to make a longer version of for this setup) because of my bastardized combination of BW1345 and BW 1356 shift linkage. The only hard part would be if you had to relocate the shifter for the trans.........and lengthening/shortening drivelines.

You could buy 2 T-19's or NP435's for what you could sell your ZF5 for...........

8 forward gears and 2 reverse would be sweet.

I'd say it would be worth the effort.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The clutch slave would be back the 7 1/2 inches, so the line to it would need to be extended.

If you have a truck with a C6 or ZF, your are trading those trannies for a shorter tranny with the ranger length added to it. The tranny would be back 7 1/2 inches, but your crossmember and driveline lengths would only change the 3 or 4 inches. depending on whether you use a BW or NP tranny.

But, yeah, in so many ways it's a funner swap, and with the wide ratio trannies you get a good gear spread. I just think for the nice CC family hauler I'll put in the ZF.

Right now I just stand in the garage and look at it, and it makes me smile. When that wears off I'll have to decide if I have a big enough nail to hang it with on the garage wall until I finish the fiasco I have in my front driveway.

Maybe it'll go in the F250 with a D60 front some day, or I could use the F250 to convert a Bronco to a diesel 8 speed. Few times over the years I've seen 80-96 Broncos with the straight front swap needing an engine and tranny for real cheap.;Sweet

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
The clutch slave would be back the 7 1/2 inches, so the line to it would need to be extended.

If you have a truck with a C6 or ZF, your are trading those trannies for a shorter tranny with the ranger length added to it. The tranny would be back 7 1/2 inches, but your crossmember and driveline lengths would only change the 3 or 4 inches. depending on whether you use a BW or NP tranny.

But, yeah, in so many ways it's a funner swap, and with the wide ratio trannies you get a good gear spread. I just think for the nice CC family hauler I'll put in the ZF.

Right now I just stand in the garage and look at it, and it makes me smile. When that wears off I'll have to decide if I have a big enough nail to hang it with on the garage wall until I finish the fiasco I have in my front driveway.

Maybe it'll go in the F250 with a D60 front some day, or I could use the F250 to convert a Bronco to a diesel 8 speed. Few times over the years I've seen 80-96 Broncos with the straight front swap needing an engine and tranny for real cheap.;Sweet

Actually the slave is staying up front with the bell and clutch. It has to, to operate the clutch fork.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Duh, that's obvious.LOL

Oh, well, long drive today I guess, and that Coca-Cola from BK had me in a sugar overdose.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Reportedly an overdrive.

I've been thinking about that clutch thing like that for a few days though:rotflmao

That makes it an even easier install though.;Sweet